UNICEF appeals for $1.2 bn to help children in 2012January 28th, 2012 - 3:19 pm ICT by IANS
United Nations, Jan 28 (IANS) The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has appealed for $1.28 billion to provide humanitarian assistance to children in over 25 countries this year, with nearly one-third of the total amount earmarked for the crisis in the Horn of Africa.
“We have achieved many positive results in emergency settings in 2011 but the urgent and long-term needs of millions of children and their families will continue in 2012,” said Rima Salah, UNICEF’s acting deputy executive director, Friday.
The agency’s 2012 Humanitarian Action for Children report, launched in Geneva, highlights the massive humanitarian operation in the Horn of Africa, where UNICEF activated its highest level of emergency response to run an operation to save the lives of hundreds of thousands of children and women on the brink of survival, reported Xinhua.
It also describes the nutrition crisis currently facing the Sahel region, as well as the emergencies in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Chad and the Central African Republic, among others, that require funding if their most vulnerable people are to survive.
The needs of children and their families displaced by violence stemming from the November 2010 elections in Cote d’Ivoire and the independence of South Sudan from its northern neighbour, Sudan, are also featured.
The report also discusses the five million people affected by a second year of flooding in Pakistan and the operation to rebuild Haiti two years after an earthquake shattered the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere.
In addition, it cites the humanitarian needs arising from the wave of political turmoil and change in the Middle East and North Africa, especially in Yemen, which is already affected by a long-standing emergency crisis.
- UNICEF appeals for $1.28 billion for 2012 humanitarian aid - Jan 28, 2012
- Unicef appeals for $1.3 bn - Jan 28, 2012
- UN General Assembly re-elects Ban Ki-moon as Secretary-General - Jun 22, 2011
- Food crisis looms in Africa's Sahel region - Jan 31, 2012
- Zambia moves to fourth position in African football - Feb 16, 2012
- Drought in Horn of Africa affects 1.8mn children: UN - Jun 02, 2011
- Vaccination campaign to aid more than 85 million children in Africa - Mar 06, 2010
- Three killed Indian peacekeepers to be honoured - May 25, 2012
- Euphoria engulfs Zambia after AFCON triumph - Feb 13, 2012
- Zambia yet to receive money for winning 2012 Africa Cup - Mar 15, 2012
- Drought threatens 2 mn kids in Horn of Africa: UN - Jul 09, 2011
- Five Indians trafficked for organ sale rescued in Ghana - May 28, 2011
- UN seeks $4 bn aid fund - Jul 23, 2011
- African Union summit opens with focus on stability - Jan 30, 2011
- Obama hails 'decisive turn of events' in Cote d'Ivoire - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: cote d ivoire, democratic republic of the congo, deputy executive director, emergency crisis, emergency settings, fund unicef, horn of africa, humanitarian action, humanitarian assistance, humanitarian operation, north africa, northern neighbour, political turmoil, poorest country, republic of the congo, rima, sahel region, south sudan, western hemisphere, xinhua