Unesco to help Italy preserve PompeiiDecember 1st, 2011 - 12:54 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Dec 1 (IANS/AKI) The Unesco will advise Italy on how to best protect one of the world’s biggest archaeological sites, Pompeii, where a massive volcanic eruption in 79 A.D. buried the ancient city under six metres of volcanic ash.
The UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation agreed to guide the Italian government by giving advice on improving conservation methods for the 76-hectare site, where rain and poor upkeep has caused several buildings to collapse.
A major incident occurred in November 2010, when portions of the Schola Armaturarum — or Gladiators’ House — and the House of the Moralist collapsed, embarassing Italy where funding for culture was slashed.
The condition of the site near Naples cost the Italian culture minister his job.
The European Union in October said it would provide up to 105 million euros to protect and restore Pompeii. The following day, the collapse of a chunk of another building was reported by a labour union working at the site.
Unesco assistant director-general for culture Francesco Bandarin said: “This agreement is the result of a long-standing cooperation between Unesco and Italy in support of the conservation of world heritage.”
He referred to the project of safeguarding Pompeii as a “complex endeavour”.
- Most of Pompeii site at risk of collapse - Nov 10, 2010
- Another building collapses at ancient Pompeii - Dec 01, 2010
- House of Gladiators in Pompeii collapses - Nov 07, 2010
- Italy's ancient gladiator training centre collapses - Nov 07, 2010
- Mismanagement caused Pompeii disaster: Italian minister - Nov 11, 2010
- Nearly 50 mafia men held in Italy - Jun 07, 2012
- Fugitive Italian mafia leader arrested - May 04, 2012
- Second Pompeii structure collapses - Dec 01, 2010
- Four tonnes of banned fireworks seized in Italy - Dec 30, 2011
- Italian MPs are top earners in Europe - Jan 04, 2012
- Ancient Roman mausoleum found under tonnes of garbage - Apr 21, 2011
- Olympic gold medallist held for beating wife - Aug 27, 2010
- Italy's macho soldiers asked to remove tattoos - Aug 17, 2012
- Italian imam held for human trafficking - Jul 18, 2012
- Gay Italian politician to run for PM in 2013 - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,