UNESCO executive council votes for Palestinian membershipOctober 6th, 2011 - 4:02 am ICT by IANS
Paris, Oct 6 (IANS) UNESCO’s executive council voted Wednesday for allowing Palestine a membership, Xinhua reported.
Some 40 of the 58 members of UNESCO executive council voted for the proposal against four vetos including that from the US and Germany. Fourteen members abstained from the vote on the day, said a diplomatic source.
Arab countries have recently proposed to upgrade the status of Palestine in the UN organisation to member state from present status of observer state.
Palestine will not get the member state status until the approval of the executive council wins ratification of at least two thirds of all UNESCO 193 members which are due to meet for the general conference between Oct 25 and Nov 10 at its Paris headquarters.
Palestinian authority has intensified its effort for statehood representation in the UN and its branches since this year.The latest move was presenting its statehood bid to the 66th session of the UN General Assembly starting in late September.
- UNESCO grants full membership to Palestine - Oct 31, 2011
- United Arab Emirates congratulates Palestine on UNESCO vote - Nov 02, 2011
- Palestine becomes Unesco member; US upset - Nov 01, 2011
- Palestinian membership bid report sent to UNSC - Nov 12, 2011
- UAE welcomes Palestine's Unesco membership - Nov 01, 2011
- India backs Palestinian bid for UN membership - Oct 01, 2011
- US halts $60 mn contribution to Unesco over Palestine - Nov 01, 2011
- Israel freezes Unesco funding - Nov 03, 2011
- India reiterates 'unequivocal support' for Palestinian state - Sep 23, 2011
- Israel declines to accept Palestine's Unesco membership - Nov 01, 2011
- Palestine becomes a member of UNESCO - Oct 31, 2011
- Palestine applies for UN membership - Sep 24, 2011
- Abbas to submit UN bid after General Assembly address - Sep 23, 2011
- Russia to support Palestine's UN bid for statehood - Sep 14, 2011
- UNESCO raises Palestinian flag at Paris headquarters - Dec 14, 2011
Tags: arab countries, council votes, diplomatic source, executive council, germany, late september, member state, palestine, palestinian authority, paris, proposal, ratification, statehood, two thirds, un general assembly, unesco, vetos, vote, xinhua