Unesco asks Libyans to protect archaeological sitesAugust 25th, 2011 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, Aug 25 (IANS/AKI) The chief of the UN culture agency Unesco has called on Libyans and international antiquities dealers to respect Libya’s ancient heritage and prevent looting of the country’s numerous archaeological sites.
“The heritage of a nation is essential to the ability of its citizens to preserve their identity and self-esteem, to profit from their diversity and their history and build themselves a better future,” director general Irina Bokova said in a statement.
“With this timeless truth in mind, I call on the people of Libya, on neighbouring countries and all those involved in the international art and antiquities trade to do all they can to protect Libya’s invaluable cultural heritage.”
Following the fall of the Saddam Hussein regime in Iraq in 2003, the country’s archaeological sites were looted and artefacts showed up on the international antiquities market.
“Experience shows that there is a serious danger of destruction during times of social upheaval. It has taught us to look out for looting by unscrupulous individuals, that often damages the integrity of artefacts and of archaeological sites,” Bokova said.
- Unesco to help Italy preserve Pompeii - Dec 01, 2011
- Punjab, Unesco to join hands for cultural preservation - Feb 26, 2011
- UNESCO raises Palestinian flag at Paris headquarters - Dec 14, 2011
- Unesco lauds Abu Dhabi for culture initiatives - Oct 26, 2011
- Imprisoned Iranian journalist wins UN press freedom prize - Apr 08, 2011
- UAE donates $2 mn to Unesco fund - Jun 26, 2010
- Stolen art treasures recovered in Italy - Jan 26, 2010
- Cambodia and Thailand agree to UN-sponsored meeting over temple damage - Mar 12, 2011
- Unesco adds nine properties into world heritage list - Jun 28, 2011
- Vietnam capital Hanoi turns millennium-old - Oct 01, 2010
- Nobody cares for Pakistan's heritage, laments daily - Jul 09, 2012
- UNESCO to assess damage to Hindu temple in Cambodia - Feb 09, 2011
- Anti-terror official killed in Iraq blast - Sep 07, 2012
- New sites on world heritage list soon - Jul 23, 2010
- Sikh group asks UNESCO to preserve Haryana ruins - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,