UN urges Sudan, South Sudan to resolve issuesJanuary 30th, 2012 - 5:45 am ICT by IANS
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Jan 30 (IANS) The United Nations has urged Sudan and its new neighbour South Sudan to resolve all outstanding issues threatening peace and security between them, Xinhua reported.
“Both Sudan and South Sudan worked to end one of Africa’s longest-running civil wars. I now urge both to show the same statesmanship and resolve outstanding issues,” said UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon during the opening ceremony of the 18th African Union summit held here in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa Sunday.
South Sudan and Sudan are currently locked up in an oil dispute where the latter is accusing the former of not paying due fees. The dispute has led South Sudan to suspend crude oil production.
Oil produced in South Sudan transits through Sudan to the Red Sea.
South Sudan seceded from Sudan following a referendum in January last year where South Sudanese voted to break away.
The holding of the referendum had followed the signing of a Comprehensive Peace Agreement between the Sudan People’s Liberation Army and the Sudan government in 2005 ending a two decade long rebellion.
- UN urges calm in Southern Sudan after preliminary referendum results - Feb 01, 2011
- AU presses Sudan, South Sudan to seal deal by Aug 2 - Jul 15, 2012
- UN's Ban commends Sudan and South Sudan on political progress - Mar 17, 2012
- UN chief hails Sudan, South Sudan oil deal - Aug 07, 2012
- South Sudan celebrates independence (Third Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- UN Security Council calls for 'urgent action' for peaceful, credible referenda in Sudan - Nov 17, 2010
- India calls for dialogue between Sudan, South Sudan - Apr 12, 2012
- Sudan ready for talks with South Sudan: Russia - May 01, 2012
- Sudan president aims for South Sudan's liberation - Apr 19, 2012
- 'Indian oil investments in both Sudans safe' - Apr 04, 2012
- UN chief condemns Sudan's continued bombings against S. Sudan - Apr 24, 2012
- South Sudan to become world's newest nation July 9 - Jul 02, 2011
- UN chief to visit Sudan - Jul 07, 2011
- South Sudan to get anti-aircraft missiles - May 17, 2012
- Eight civilians killed in Sudan's weekend bombings of South Sudan - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: addis ababa ethiopia, ban ki moon, civil wars, crude oil production, ethiopian capital, liberation army, neighbour, oil dispute, opening ceremony, peace agreement, red sea, referendum, south sudan, south sudanese, statesmanship, sudan government, transits, un secretary general, union summit, xinhua