UN to send 300 peacekeepers to Syria by May-endMay 2nd, 2012 - 10:03 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, May 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The UN will send its 300 international unarmed observers to Syria by the end of May, said Herve Ladsous, the head of the UN peacekeeping body.
“We have 24 observers on the ground and I fully expect this number to increase rapidly over the next two weeks so that UNSMIS (UN Supervision Mission in Syria) will build up to full operational strength by the end of May,” Ladsous said Tuesday.
The UN Security Council (UNSC) has approved dispatching 300 observers to Syria to monitor a ceasefire between government and opposition forces as part of the peace plan proposed by the UN and Arab League envoy Kofi Annan.
The mission has been approved for an initial period of 90 days.
Damascus has insisted that the members of the monitoring force come from countries friendly to Syria, such as Russia, China, India, Brazil and South Africa.
Despite the monitors’ presence, there have been reports of numerous violations of the truce by both opposition and government forces, in which dozens of people were killed.
- UNSC adopts plan to send observers to Syria - Apr 15, 2012
- UN approves sending 300 observers to Syria - Apr 22, 2012
- Strengthen ceasefire in Syria: Annan - Apr 23, 2012
- UN chief wants reduced Syria observer mission - Jul 07, 2012
- Ban backs UN presence in Syria - Aug 12, 2012
- UN concerned over Syria violence escalation - Jun 13, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia proposes deadline to stop Syria violence - Aug 17, 2012
- UN rights resolution on Syria beyond mandate: Russia - Jun 03, 2012
- 'No Syrian crisis settlement without Russia, China' - Apr 28, 2012
- UN to open Liaison office in Syria - Aug 17, 2012
- UN observers leave Syria - Aug 20, 2012
- UNSC discusses Syria at closed-door meeting - May 31, 2012
- UN monitors should be from neutral countries, like BRICS: Syria - Apr 22, 2012
Tags: arab league, ceasefire, damascus, dozens, government forces, initial period, kofi annan, monitors, observers, opposition forces, peace plan, peacekeepers, ria novosti, south africa, supervision, syria, truce, un security council, united nations, unsc