UN to appoint Earth’s first contact for aliensSeptember 26th, 2010 - 5:19 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Sep 26 (ANI): In a strange initiative from United Nations, it is set to appoint an obscure Malaysian astrophysicist to act as Earth’s first contact for any aliens that may come visiting.
Mazlan Othman, the head of the UN’s little-known Office for Outer Space Affairs (Unoosa), will describe her potential new role at a scientific conference at the Royal Society’s Kavli conference centre in Buckinghamshire.
“The continued search for extraterrestrial communication, by several entities, sustains the hope that some day humankind will receive signals from extraterrestrials,” the Courier Mail quoted Mazlan as saying.
“When we do, we should have in place a coordinated response that takes into account all the sensitivities related to the subject. The UN is a ready-made mechanism for such coordination,” she added.
Professor Richard Crowther, an expert in space law and governance at the UK Space Agency and who leads British delegations to the UN on such matters, said: “Othman is absolutely the nearest thing we have to a ‘take me to your leader’ person.”
However, he believes humanity’s first encounter with any aliens is more likely to be via radio or light signals than by beings arriving on Earth. (ANI)
- U.N. denies appointing Earth's 'first contact' for aliens - Sep 28, 2010
- UN celebrates World Space Week - Oct 08, 2011
- Space junk may crash earth's communication networks - May 28, 2010
- Could city lights help locate alien civilisations? - Nov 04, 2011
- NASA Announces Press Meet To Discuss 'Extraterrestrial Life' - Dec 03, 2010
- Spacebots only way to find ETs: expert - Apr 19, 2012
- Close encounter with aliens possible this century - Jul 16, 2012
- Aliens may have left footprints on moon! - Dec 29, 2011
- Look for signs of mining in asteroid belts to find alien life, say scientists - Apr 05, 2011
- Saturn moon may have aliens - Nov 24, 2011
- Are aliens here on Earth? - Jan 25, 2010
- 'Aliens could be using cosmic Twitter to contact us' - Jul 22, 2010
- Researchers propose new approach to find alien life - Jul 21, 2010
- Stephen Hawking, Asserts That Humankind Must Abandon The Earth And Colonize The Space For Long-Standing Survival - Aug 14, 2010
- We'll meet aliens in next 20 years: Russian scientist - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: aliens, astrophysicist, buckinghamshire, coordination, courier mail, delegations, entities, extraterrestrial communication, first contact, first encounter, governance, humankind, kavli, light signals, mazlan, outer space affairs, professor richard, space agency, space law, uk space