UN team starts hearings in Jordan on Gaza flotillaAugust 30th, 2010 - 11:23 pm ICT by IANS
Amman, Aug 30 (DPA) A UN inquiry team started hearings Monday with Jordanian activists about the fatal May 31 Israeli attack on a Turkish ship that was part of a flotilla trying to break an Israeli blockade of the Gaza Strip.
“The panel, which is due to stay in Jordan until Friday, met several people over the past hours,” Badi Rafayaa, a prominent trade unionist, told DPA.
Rafayaa was one of 33 Jordanian activists aboard the Gaza-bound flotilla when Israeli forces raided the Mavi Marmara ferry, killing nine Turkish citizens, and wounding several others.
Rafayaa said he was scheduled to testify Tuesday afternoon.
Rafayaa said that the UN panel will also meet in Amman with two Arab activists from Israel - Hanin Zoabi from the National Democratic Assembly and Mohammad Zeidan, director general of the Arab Association of Human Rights - who were aboard the Turkish vessel when the Israeli attack occurred.
The fact-finding mission is chaired by Karl Hudson-Phillips, former judge of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) at the Hague.
The team arrived in Amman Sunday night after eight days of hearings in Turkey. The panel is due to report back to the UN Human Rights Council during its next session, between Sep 13 and Oct 11.
Israel has refused cooperation with the team, claiming it lacked neutrality.
- UN panel on flotilla raid completes probe in Jordan - Sep 04, 2010
- Israeli government the problem, not the people: Turkish PM - Oct 03, 2011
- UN to assemble Gaza flotilla investigation team Sunday - Aug 01, 2010
- UN rights body appoints experts to probe Gaza flotilla raid - Jul 24, 2010
- Israeli soldiers fired at Gaza-bound aid ships in self-defence, says inquiry - Jan 24, 2011
- UN chief proposes joint Gaza aid flotilla probe - Jun 06, 2010
- UN body seeks Israeli cooperation in flotilla probe - Aug 04, 2010
- More international flotillas headed for Gaza Strip - Jun 17, 2010
- Israeli troops held for thefts from Gaza aid flotilla - Aug 20, 2010
- Activists mull new Gaza flotilla - Aug 05, 2010
- Five activists on flotilla linked to Al Qaeda, Hamas: Israel - Jun 07, 2010
- Israel Navy intercepts Gaza-bound aid vessels - Nov 04, 2011
- Aid activists may have Al-Qaeda link: Israel - Jun 03, 2010
- UN calls for New Zealand-led inquiry into Israel's Gaza flotilla raid - Jun 06, 2010
- Israeli authorities detain 480 activists - Jun 01, 2010
Tags: amman, eight days, fact finding mission, flotilla, gaza strip, inquiry team, international court of justice, international court of justice icj, israel hanin, israeli attack, israeli blockade, israeli forces, marmara, mavi, national democratic assembly, neutrality, trade unionist, turkish citizens, un human rights council, zeidan