UN Syria resolution unacceptable: RussiaJuly 13th, 2012 - 6:52 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 13 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia has objected to a draft resolution on Syria submitted to the UN Security Council by a number of Western nations, since it may lead to the use of force against Damascus, Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said.
“We have stated repeatedly that Chapter 7 of the UN Charter is unacceptable to us,” he said, referring to a clause enabling the UN to take “urgent military measures” to enforce its decisions.
“Using the resolution to justify the use of force in the future is absolutely unacceptable to us.”
The US, France, Britain and Germany have drafted a resolution giving the Syrian authorities 10 days to stop using heavy weapons.
Failure by Damascus to comply with the resolution will incur diplomatic and economic sanctions as well as the use of force.
Moscow and Beijing have twice vetoed Security Council resolutions that hinted at sanctions.
Between 13,000 and 17,000 people have been killed in Syria since the beginning of an uprising against President Bashar al-Assad 17 months ago, according to Syrian rights groups quoted by the UN.
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- Putin to meet Annan to discuss Syria crisis - Jul 16, 2012
- No Russian asylum for Syrian president: Minister - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- US 'disgusted' by Russia, China veto on Syria resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Russia defends decision on Syria resolution - Feb 07, 2012
- Syrian president ready for constitutional referendum - Feb 08, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Al Qaeda behind Syrian blasts, says Russia - May 14, 2012
- UNSC calls emergency meet on Syria massacre - May 28, 2012
- Russia, China veto West's UN draft resolution on Syria (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, beijing, chapter 7, damascus, draft resolution, economic sanctions, foreign minister, gennady, military measures, president bashar, ria novosti russia, rights groups, russia moscow, security council resolutions, syria, syrian authorities, un security council, uprising, us france, use of force