UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit RussiaMarch 22nd, 2012 - 10:17 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 22 (IANS/RIA Novosti) UN envoy to Syria Kofi Annan will visit Moscow in the very near future to discuss the situation in the Middle East country, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
Annan’s visit, due “in the next few days”, is designed to signal “consolidation and support” for international efforts to resolve the crisis in Syria, Lavrov said in Berlin.
The former UN secretary general travelled to Damascus March 10-11 to try to persuade President Bashar al-Assad and opposition forces to end violence, begin dialogue and allow humanitarian aid to violence-hit areas.
He left Syria without a deal, but said he had offered Assad “concrete proposals”.
Syrian foreign ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi said Damascus was interested in the success of Annan’s mission.
UN chief Ban Ki-moon said Wednesday that Annan would return to Syria “very soon”.
Ban said more than 8,000 people have been killed in Syria since the beginning of an uprising against al-Assad a year ago.
Syrian human rights groups have estimated the toll at 9,100, while the government says some 2,000 police and security officers have been killed by members of “armed terrorist gangs”.
The UN Security Council was considering a draft statement backing Annan’s mission to halt the crisis. Russia said it was ready to back a UN resolution based on the envoy’s plan.
Russia and China vetoed a Security Council resolution blaming al-Assad for the violence, saying both the government and opposition forces should be held responsible.
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil war: Russia - Apr 21, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- 'No Syrian crisis settlement without Russia, China' - Apr 28, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- Syrian defence minister killed in Damascus bombing - Jul 18, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Syrian president ready for constitutional referendum - Feb 08, 2012
- Russia defends decision on Syria resolution - Feb 07, 2012
- US, Russia continue Syria discussions - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: ban ki moon, bashar al assad, concrete proposals, damascus, draft statement, foreign ministry spokesman, human rights groups, humanitarian aid, international efforts, kofi annan, opposition forces, president bashar, ria novosti, russia moscow, security council resolution, security officers, sergei lavrov, syrian human rights, un secretary general, un security council