UN seeks $4 bn aid fundJuly 23rd, 2011 - 12:52 am ICT by IANS
New York, July 22 (IANS/WAM) The UN needs $4.3 billion in the next six months to carry out humanitarian work, the world body says.
Valerie Amos, the UN under secretary general for humanitarian affairs, said Thursday that donors have made available just 45 percent of the funds requested at the start of 2011.
She said the UN had asked for $7.4 billion in 2011, but that figure has since risen to $7.9 billion due to a severe humanitarian crisis in some parts of the world, like the Horn of Africa, where droughts affected 11 million people.
About $3.6 billion has been received so far, she told reporters in Geneva after presenting a mid-year review of the status of humanitarian funding to member states.
More than 100,000 malnourished children had been treated in 800 nutrition centres throughout Somalia between January and May 2011. A total of 554,000 children in southern Somalia are suffering from malnutrition, she added.
Other drought-affected countries that require humanitarian assistance are Djibouti, Ethiopia and Kenya. South Sudan, Yemen, and Libya, among others, also require help this year, she said.
- UN warns famine could spread in Somalia without international aid - Aug 02, 2011
- UAE to launch campaign for Horn of Africa's drought-hit - Aug 17, 2011
- Drought threatens 2 mn kids in Horn of Africa: UN - Jul 09, 2011
- Drought in Horn of Africa affects 1.8mn children: UN - Jun 02, 2011
- $8.9 mn raised for famine victims in Horn of Africa - Aug 20, 2011
- India pledges $8 mn to famine-stricken Horn of Africa - Sep 14, 2011
- UN declares famine in two southern regions of Somalia - Jul 20, 2011
- UAE charity sends emergency aid to Somalia - Sep 07, 2011
- 750,000 people may die in East African famine: UN - Sep 07, 2011
- UN relief chief visits Afghanistan - May 08, 2012
- UAE charities seek to expedite Somalia relief efforts - Jul 25, 2011
- UAE medical team reaches out to famine victims - Aug 20, 2011
- UN chief briefs UAE on Somalia crisis - Jul 29, 2011
- Food crisis looms in Africa's Sahel region - Jan 31, 2012
- Somalia hails UAE's humanitarian efforts - Sep 16, 2011
Tags: bn, djibouti, donors, droughts, geneva, horn of africa, humanitarian affairs, humanitarian assistance, humanitarian crisis, humanitarian work, libya, malnourished children, malnutrition, member states, secretary general, six months, south sudan, southern somalia, valerie, yemen