UN Security Council condemns Syria crackdown (Lead)August 4th, 2011 - 10:59 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Aug 4 (IANS) Amid intensifying violence in Syria, the United Nations Security Council, of which India currently holds the rotating presidency, Thursday condemned the Syrian government’s crackdown on civilians pushing for democratic reforms and asked all sides to act with “utmost restraint”.
“The Security Council expresses its grave concern at the deteriorating situation in Syria, and expresses profound regret at the death of many hundreds of people,” said a presidential statement read by India’s Permanent Representative to the UN, Hardeep Singh Puri.
“The council condemns the widespread violations of human rights and the use of force against civilians by the Syrian authorities,” the statement read.
India currently holds the rotating presidency of the 15-member Security Council for this month.
The council stressed the Syrian authorities should respect human rights and comply with their obligations under applicable international law. “Those responsible for the violence should be held accountable.”
The Council also expressed regret over the lack in progress in implementing the reforms.
The UNSC condemnation came days after Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad visited India and urged New Delhi to not to be misled by “Western propaganda” about alleged crackdown on protests and sought it’s support for the reform process.
Around 1500 people are said to have died since unrest began in Syria over four months ago, leading to a brutal crackdown on civilian protesters.
India has voiced concern over violence, and asked Syria to “exercise restraint, abjure violence and expedite the implementation of political reforms taking into account the aspirations of the people of Syria.”
- Under rising pressure from West, Syria seeks India's support (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Syria seeks India's support against 'Western propaganda' - Aug 02, 2011
- India, Brazil, South Africa mount pressure on Syria - Aug 11, 2011
- India abstains from UNSC vote on Syria - Oct 05, 2011
- India backs move against Assad, rights body pats Delhi (Roundup) - Feb 05, 2012
- India-led UNSC seeks political solution in Syria - Aug 04, 2011
- Excerpts from UN Syrian resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- Concerned India backs democracy transition in Syria (Intro Roundup) - Feb 05, 2012
- India votes for Syria resolution in UN General Assembly - Feb 17, 2012
- Syria says it won't go the Libya way - Apr 22, 2012
- Russia, China kill India-backed resolution on Syria (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- UN rights resolution on Syria beyond mandate: Russia - Jun 03, 2012
- Russia favours more time for reforms in Syria (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- US drones fly over Syria to monitor situation - Feb 20, 2012
- US warns of implications of UN veto on Syria - Oct 06, 2011
Tags: aspirations, brutal crackdown, condemnation, democratic reforms, foreign minister, grave concern, hardeep singh, member security council, nations security council, people of syria, political reforms, syrian authorities, syrian government, un security council, united nations security, united nations security council, unsc, use of force, utmost restraint, violations of human rights