UN says 400,000 Uzbeks have fled KyrgyzstanJune 18th, 2010 - 5:59 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 18 (ANI): The United Nations has said that about 400,000 displaced Uzbeks have fled from ethnic riot-hit southern Kyrgyzstan.
According to The Telegraph, the new UN assessment highlights the severity of the crisis on the Kyrgyz-Uzbek border.
It claims that the Kyrgyz military has run into difficulties in its effort to restore order to the region, where over two million people live.
At least 180 have been killed in clashes between Kyrgyz and minority Uzbeks over the past week.
The behavior of the army and police during the past week’s violence is a major grievance among Uzbeks, who accuse the security forces of letting Kyrgyz mobs run wild for several days, and in many cases, of taking part in the mayhem and slaughter themselves.
While Uzbeks make up nearly half the region’s population, almost all soldiers and police here are ethnic Kyrgyz.
Investigators had not identified any soldiers or police involved in the violence and suggested that those who organized the riots had distributed uniforms and weapons to the mobs.
Kyrgyzstan’s shaky interim government has accused the deposed president, Kurmanbek Bakiyev, and his family of triggering the riots by paying gunmen to attack Kyrgyz and Uzbek neighborhoods. (ANI)
- Ethnic rioting in Kyrgyzstan claims 117 lives - Jun 14, 2010
- Kyrgyz violence showing signs of subsiding: NYT - Jun 16, 2010
- Army hand suspected in Kyrgyzstan ethnic violence - Jun 17, 2010
- Kyrgyz President Otunbayeva refuses participating in upcoming fall elections - Feb 22, 2011
- Russia to consider military aid for Kyrgyzstan - Jun 14, 2010
- Govt. confirms evacuation of Indian nationals from southern Kyrgyzstan - Jun 15, 2010
- Govt. trying to get Indian students out of riot-hit Kyrgyzstan - Jun 14, 2010
- One Pakistani killed, 15 kidnapped in riot hit Kyrgyzstan - Jun 14, 2010
- Kyrgyz deputies sacrifice sheep to drive evil spirits away - Apr 21, 2011
- Kyrgyzstan prepares for Russian troops as toll rises (Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Belarus refuses to extradite brother of Kyrgyz ex-president - Sep 06, 2012
- Kyrgyzstan arrests agitators as riot toll touches 120 (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Kyrgyzstan violence mounts refugee crisis - Jun 16, 2010
- Uzbekistan closes border with strife-torn Krygyzstan - Jun 15, 2010
- Moscow turns down Kyrgyzstan's request for help (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
Tags: clashes, grievance, gunmen, interim government, investigators, kurmanbek bakiyev, kyrgyz, mayhem, mobs, riot, riots, security forces, severity, slaughter, telegraph, two million, uniforms, united nations, uzbeks, violence