UN rights council to hold special meeting on GazaJanuary 8th, 2009 - 12:04 am ICT by IANS
Geneva, Jan 7 (Prensa Latina) The UN Human Rights Council (HRC) will hold a special session Friday to discuss the worsening situation in Gaza, officials said.Cuba’s envoy to the Geneva-based organisation, Juan Antonio Fernandez, said the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) nations as well as Islamic and developing states had requested for a UN meeting.
“Israel’s military aggression against the Palestinian civilian population in the Gaza Strip is unacceptable and is a serious violation of international law,” NAM said in a statement after its meeting Tuesday.
Cuba, which holds the NAM presidency, Tuesday made a formal request to hold a special meeting of the UN to discuss the Gaza conflict that left more than 600 people dead and over 2,700 others wounded.
NAM members condemned Israel and demanded an immediate ceasefire. They also said Israel must comply with the 1949 international conventions on the protection of civilians.
The HRC is expected to approve a resolution Friday calling for an end to the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip. Resolutions issued by the Council are not binding.
- Cuba calls for global cooperation to end hunger - Mar 09, 2010
- Palestinians take up flotilla attack with UN rights council - May 31, 2010
- Arab League to ask UN to impose no-fly zone over Gaza - Apr 11, 2011
- Activists urge India to vote against Sri Lanka - Mar 19, 2012
- Sri Lankan dailies go to town over India's UN vote - Mar 23, 2012
- Sri Lanka urges India to review Geneva stand (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2012
- UN holds emergency meeting over Gaza attack - Jun 01, 2010
- Karunanidhi calls off fast on Sri Lanka - Mar 19, 2012
- UN asks Israel to end blockade on Gaza (Lead) - Jun 01, 2010
- Israel defends attack on aid flotilla - May 31, 2010
- UN Human Rights Council to discuss Syria Tuesday - Feb 27, 2012
- India bats for UN-led resolution of Syria crisis - Aug 14, 2012
- UN Human Rights Council adopts Gaza war crimes report - Oct 16, 2009
- PM reminds Rajapaksa India's key role in Geneva - Mar 24, 2012
- PM heads to Tehran for NAM summit, Iran ties in focus (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012