UN office, Ethiopian embassy in five sites bombed in SomaliaOctober 29th, 2008 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
Mogadishu, Oct 29 (DPA) Five suicide bomb attacks, including one on an Ethiopian embassy and one on a UN compound, rocked Somalia Wednesday, witnesses said.Witness Farhaan Omaye told DPA that three near-simultaneous bombs went off in Hargeysa, in the breakaway northern state of Somaliland.
The Ethiopian embassy and the UN Development Programme (UNDP) compound were targeted, as was Somaliland’s presidential palace.
Two other bombs exploded in the semi-autonomous state of Puntland at the offices of the Puntland Intelligence Service in the port town of Bosasso, witness Mohamed Ali told dpa.
There was no immediate information on casualties.
Puntland and Somaliland are normally relatively peaceful compared to Central and Southern Somalia, where a bloody insurgency is raging.
Somali insurgents have been fighting the transitional federal government since Ethiopian troops helped oust the Union of Islamic Courts in early 2007.
A ceasefire, due to come into force on Nov 5, was agreed on Sunday night. The ceasefire was part of a deal agreed in in June.
However, main insurgent group al-Shabaab has rejected the deal and vowed to keep fighting until Ethiopian forces leave Somalia.
Aid agencies say almost 10,000 civilians have died and almost one million have fled, especially from the capital city Mogadishu, during the insurgency.
The Horn of Africa nation has been plagued by chaos and civil war since the ouster of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991.
- 25 killed in suicide bomb attacks in Somalia (Lead) - Oct 29, 2008
- Somali insurgents ban UN mine agency - Dec 18, 2009
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- 10 politicians among 42 dead in Somalia clashes (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Somali insurgents vow revenge against US for Al Qaeda raid - Sep 15, 2009
- 10 dead in suicide blast at Mogadishu airport - Sep 09, 2010
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- Four peacekeepers killed in Somalia - Aug 30, 2010
- Roadside bomb kills eight in Somalia - Sep 01, 2010
- 9,000 displaced in Somalia violence - May 27, 2012
- 26 die after attack on Somali parliament - May 17, 2010
- 23 killed, dozens injured in Somalia fighting - Jun 03, 2010
- 65 dead in Somali car bombing - Oct 04, 2011
- Ethiopia begins Somalia withdrawal - Jan 03, 2009
- Senior Al Qaeda man killed in Somalia - Feb 10, 2010