UN Kosovo mission to be reorganised soonJune 5th, 2008 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
Belgrade, June 5 (RIA Novosti) A decision on reorganising the United Nations Mission in Kosovo (Unmik) will be taken in the next few days, a UN spokesman said Thursday. “We will give detailed information on the UN’s future presence in Kosovo when we receive instructions on the reorganisation,” said Alexander Ivanko, a spokesman for the Unmik mission in the Balkan region which declared unilateral independence from Serbia in February.
The UN mission, stationed in the area since the end of an interethnic conflict in 1999, plans to reconfigure itself after June 15, when Kosovo adopts its first constitution and its government takes on the mission’s powers.
Kosovo, with a 90 percent ethnic-Albanian majority, has been formally recognized as a sovereign state by 42 countries including the US and most European Union (EU) members.
Russia, Serbia’s long-time ally and a veto-wielding member of the UN Security Council, has refused to recognize Kosovo’s independence.
The Unmik is expected to hand over its authority to the EU, which plans to deploy a 2,000-strong police and justice mission in Kosovo.
Russia opposes these plans, saying the move would be in violation of UN Security Council resolution and “must be stopped immediately”.
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
- Russia warns against training Syrian rebels in Kosovo - May 15, 2012
- Russia to seek dismissal of UN Kosovo mission chief - Jun 12, 2008
- Serbia finds 250 Albanians in mass grave - May 10, 2010
- EU policing could fuel tensions in Kosovo: Russia - May 08, 2008
- Kosovo secession legal, rules International Court of Justice - Jul 23, 2010
- EU to introduce new sanctions on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- Russian embassy in Libya stormed over veto on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- Putin warns against bypassing UNSC Syria veto - Jul 21, 2012
- Russia's position on Kosovo 'not constructive': EU - Jun 26, 2008
- UN extends mission of 300 observers in Syria - Jul 21, 2012
- Clinton hopes Russia, China will change stance on Syria - Feb 25, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Medvedev urges security for Russian diplomats in Libya - Mar 19, 2011
- 'New Kosovo government undermining UN authority' - Jul 26, 2008
Tags: alexander ivanko, balkan region, belgrade, ethnic albanian majority, european union, first constitution, interethnic conflict, kosovo, kosovo mission, reorganisation, ria novosti, security council resolution, serbia, sovereign state, spokesman, time ally, un security council, unilateral independence, unmik, veto