UN forces in Lebanon warned of possible attack: reportsDecember 17th, 2008 - 10:19 pm ICT by IANS
Beirut, Dec 17 (DPA) UN peacekeeping forces operating in Lebanon have received warnings of a possible attack by Al Qaeda terrorists, Lebanese newspapers reported Wednesday.The daily al-Akhbar, a pro-Syrian newspaper, said the US had warned UN Interim Forces in southern Lebanon Dec 10 of an imminent terrorist attack.
The report quoted an unnamed European diplomatic source as saying the US provided UNIFIL with information that Al Qaeda would probably launch a “suicide attack” against UNIFIL convoys, which led to a state of alert by the peacekeepers, the Lebanese Army and security agencies.
Another pro-Syrian newspaper as-Safir also carried a similar report, saying the Lebanese Army was informed by UNIFIL of the alleged threat.
“Visits to south Lebanon by European officials were called off in light of the threat,” the report said.
However, as-Safir said the alleged terrorist attack would probably be launched during the transition between the George Bush and Barak Obama administrations.
It predicted an operation similar to the Mumbai attacks or the targeting of NATO equipment in Pakistan.
The attack would probably be carried out in the Sidon region, along the seafront, the report said.
Last week, all UNIFIL convoys going to south Lebanon were advised by their command not to pass near the Palestinian camp of Ain el-Hilweh, east of the southern port city of Sidon. The Ain el-Hilweh camp is believed to be the hub of some terrorist networks with close links to al Qaeda.
- UN Security Council condemns attack on UN mission in Lebanon - May 28, 2011
- Blast kills senior Palestinian official in Lebanon - Mar 23, 2009
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Security Council renews mandate of UNIFIL - Aug 31, 2010
- Hezbollah chief praises Israeli border clash as 'heroic' - Aug 04, 2010
- UN extends peacekeeping mission in Lebanon - Aug 31, 2012
- Lebanese Army kills two Al Qaeda-linked militants - Aug 15, 2010
- Iranian diplomat arrested for spying in Egypt - May 29, 2011
- Lebanon halts ship carrying arms for Syria rebels - Apr 29, 2012
- Mubarak still in Sharm El-Sheikh: Egyptian official - Mar 03, 2011
- Over 30,000 Syrian refugees in Lebanon: UN - Jul 09, 2012
- Lebanese leader denies inciting unrest in Syria - Apr 14, 2011
- Radio caller threatens Al Qaeda attacks on targets in Lebanon - Dec 30, 2009
- Hosni Mubarak having cancer treatment in Saudi: Paper - Mar 02, 2011
- U.S. government sanctions three Syrian companies - Aug 10, 2011