UN extends Iraq mission mandateJuly 26th, 2012 - 7:24 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, July 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The UN Security Council(UNSC) has extended the mandate of the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) by one year.
UNAMI, a political mission, was established by the 2003 UN Security Council Resolution 1500 on Iraqi government’s request.
On Wednesday, the UNSC resolution welcomed the improvement in Iraq’s security situation but stated that security challenges “still exist and that improvements need to be sustained through meaningful political dialogue and national unity”.
UNAMI is mandated to advise and assist the government and people of Iraq on a number of fronts, including political dialogue and national reconciliation, the electoral process and the protection of human rights and judicial and legal reform.
The UN works in all the 18 governorates of Iraq and operates at the community, governorate and national levels.
National and international staff are deployed throughout the country and they work in partnership with their local, provincial and national counterparts.
- UN extends peacekeeping mission in Lebanon - Aug 31, 2012
- UN rights resolution on Syria beyond mandate: Russia - Jun 03, 2012
- UN lifts no-fly zone over Libya - Oct 28, 2011
- UNSC adopts plan to send observers to Syria - Apr 15, 2012
- UN approves sending 300 observers to Syria - Apr 22, 2012
- UNSC condemns North Korean rocket launch - Apr 17, 2012
- Ban backs UN presence in Syria - Aug 12, 2012
- US withdrawal marks new moment in Iraq history: UN chief - Dec 21, 2011
- Russia, China veto UN resolution on Syria - Oct 05, 2011
- UN extends mission of 300 observers in Syria - Jul 21, 2012
- UN to send 300 peacekeepers to Syria by May-end - May 02, 2012
- No instructions for UNSC meet on Libya: Medvedev's aide - Apr 27, 2011
- UN to open Liaison office in Syria - Aug 17, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: assistance mission, electoral process, governorate, human rights, improvements, international staff, iraqi government, mission mandate, national counterparts, national reconciliation, national unity, people of iraq, political dialogue, ria novosti, security council resolution, security situation, un security council, unami, united nations, unsc resolution