UN convoy comes under fire in SyriaMay 14th, 2012 - 12:38 am ICT by IANS
Damascus, May 13 (IANS) A convoy of UN observes in Syria came under fire while touring al-Qusair area near central Homs province Sunday, local media reported.
None of the observers were hit or injured, the report said, adding that minor damages were caused to one of the convoy’s vehicles.
After the shooting, the convoy returned to Homs without carrying out its planned tour, reported Xinhua.
The latest attack is the third targeting the UN observers since their arrival.
On Friday, a UN convoy was stoned while heading to the suburb of Dumair, northeast to Damascus, before it reached a military checkpoint at the entrance of Dumair, witnesses said, adding that one of the UN vehicles was slightly damaged with smashed window. However, none of the observers was injured.
Last Wednesday, a roadside bomb ripped through the UN convoy while it was en route to southern Daraa province, injuring eight members of the accompanying security forces.
On Saturday, the European Union sent 25 armoured vehicles to ensure the safety of the observers.
- UN observers pelted with stones in Syria - May 12, 2012
- Damascus bombings toll rises to 55 (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Car bomb rocks Damascus suburb, hits peace deal - Apr 25, 2012
- Arab Spring in Syria? Picnickers tell a different story - Apr 21, 2012
- UN monitors should be from neutral countries, like BRICS: Syria - Apr 22, 2012
- 11 killed in Syria bus attack - Jan 23, 2012
- Syria frees hundreds of political prisoners - Dec 29, 2011
- 44 Syrians killed in 'Friday of freedom' rallies - May 21, 2011
- Gunmen torch health centre in Syria - Apr 15, 2012
- Car bomb blast near UN hotel in Syria - Aug 15, 2012
- Amid shaky truce, 2 more UN monitors expected in Syria - Apr 25, 2012
- Syria welcomes UN monitors, pitches for neutral BRICS - Apr 22, 2012
- 15 killed in Syria car bombing - Sep 02, 2012
- 25 shot dead in Syria - Apr 26, 2011
- Syrian president appoints ex-minister to form new government - Apr 03, 2011
Tags: al qusair, armoured vehicles, checkpoint, convoy comes under fire, damascus, european union, homs, local media, minor damages, roadside bomb, security forces, suburb, syria, un observers, xinhua