UN chief working for peaceful solution in SyriaJuly 22nd, 2012 - 8:55 am ICT by IANS
Brijuni (Croatia), July 22 (IANS) ) UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon has said he is working with UN-Arab League joint special envoy Kofi Annan to push for a peaceful solution in Syria while also being in contact with regional and international leaders.
After meeting Croatian President Ivo Josipovic here in Brijuni, the UN chief Saturday expressed his concerns about the Syrian situation at a joint news conference, Xinhua reported.
The UN chief is sending Herve Ladsous, undersecretary general for peacekeeping operations, to Syria for assessing the prevailing situation.
He described the UN Security Council’s decision to extend an observers’ mission in Syria by 30 days a “constructive sign”.
“Now the council must redouble its efforts to forge the united way forward and exercise collective responsibility under the charter of the United Nations,” said the UN chief and urged all parties in Syria to “stop armed violence without any conditions”.
- Ban backs UN presence in Syria - Aug 12, 2012
- UN observers shot at in Syria: Ban - Jun 07, 2012
- China opposes outside armed intervention in Syria - Jun 08, 2012
- UN to send 300 peacekeepers to Syria by May-end - May 02, 2012
- Iran renews support for Annan's Syria peace plan - Aug 01, 2012
- Peace plan not implemented in Syria: Annan - Jun 08, 2012
- Ban Ki-moon welcomes resolution to send observers to Syria (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- UN chief condemns village killings in Syria - May 27, 2012
- Russia urges new UN envoy to stick to Syria peace plan - Aug 18, 2012
- UN chief reiterates full support for new Syria envoy - Aug 25, 2012
- Top UN officials to visit Syria - Mar 06, 2012
- Syria situation remains serious: UN chief - May 26, 2012
- UN chief asks Syria to end violence before 300 monitors arrive - Apr 27, 2012
- UNSC discusses Syria at closed-door meeting - May 31, 2012
- UN monitors should be from neutral countries, like BRICS: Syria - Apr 22, 2012
Tags: arab league, ban ki moon, brijuni, charter of the united nations, collective responsibility, croatia, international leaders, ivo, kofi annan, news conference, observers, peaceful solution, peacekeeping operations, syria, un secretary general, un security council, undersecretary, united way, violence, xinhua