UN chief renews calls for immediate Gaza ceasefireJanuary 14th, 2009 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Jan 14 (DPA) UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Wednesday renewed his calls for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and stressed that all UN member states are obliged to abide by Security Council resolutions.He made his appeal after his meeting with Egyptian President Hosny Mubarak in Cairo where he arrived as fighting in Gaza entered its 19th day and the Palestinian death toll neared 1,000. In the second such strike this week, militants in Lebanon fired three Katyusha rockets into northern Israel Wednesday morning.
Israeli soldiers responded by firing 17 shells into southern Lebanon, Israeli and Lebanese sources said.
In a closed-door session, the UN Security Council Tuesday voiced its strong support for Ban’s trip and for regional efforts to implement last week’s UN Security Council Resolution 1860, which called for an immediate ceasefire and opening Gaza’s borders to humanitarian aid.
Both Hamas and Israel rejected the resolution.
Hamas said that they were not bound by the resolution because Palestine is not a UN member state.
Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said “Israel has never agreed that any outside body would determine its right to defend the security of its citizens”.
Over the next few days Ban is expected to visit Jordan, Israel, the West Bank, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon and Kuwait, where he will attend a summit of Arab leaders.
- No time to lose to reach ceasefire: Ban - Jan 16, 2009
- Israel to continue Gaza operation, rejects UNSC ceasefire resolution - Jan 09, 2009
- Security Council renews mandate of UNIFIL - Aug 31, 2010
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- UN Security Council urges immediate Gaza ceasefire (Lead) - Jan 09, 2009
- Israel should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- rael should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- UN Security Council hails Gaza truce - Jan 22, 2009
- At least 10 people killed, more than 100 injured in clashes along Israel's borders - May 15, 2011
- Ban expresses concern over situation in southern Lebanon - Jan 17, 2009
- Omar Suleiman Israel's favourite to replace Mubarak: WikiLeaks - Feb 08, 2011
- Israel to open humanitarian corridor in Gaza Strip - Jan 07, 2009
- Israel to continue operation despite Security Council resolution - Jan 09, 2009
- Lebanese Army fires at Israeli jets flying over Lebanon - Dec 30, 2009
- Arab ministers meet in Kuwait to discuss Gaza fighting - Jan 16, 2009
Tags: ban ki moon, egyptian president, ehud olmert, hosny mubarak, israeli prime minister, israeli prime minister ehud olmert, katyusha, katyusha rockets, lebanese sources, northern israel, palestinian death toll, prime minister ehud, prime minister ehud olmert, regional efforts, security council resolution, security council resolutions, southern lebanon, syria lebanon, un secretary general, un security council