UN chief, General Assembly president visit LibyaNovember 2nd, 2011 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
United Nations, Nov 2 (IANS) UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and president of the General Assembly Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser paid a surprise visit to Libya Wednesday, a UN spokesman said.
The top UN officials would meet members of the ruling National Transitional Council (NTC), Martin Nesirky, spokesman for the secretary-general, was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
The NTC is the temporary governing body of Libya after former leader Muammar Gaddafi was killed following the seven-month conflict.
After the brief visit to Libya, Ban would travel to Cannes, France, to attend a summit of the Group of 20 nations.
- UN pledges key role in Libya reconstruction - Sep 21, 2011
- ICC probes gender crimes in Libya, calls for efforts to prevent escape of Gaddafi's son - Nov 03, 2011
- Non-communicable diseases threat to development: UN chief - Sep 20, 2011
- UN chief vows to support Libya's reconstruction - Nov 03, 2011
- UN to hold global conference on women in 2015 - Mar 09, 2012
- UN chief discusses Libya with regional organisations - Aug 27, 2011
- Gaddafi's daughter gives birth to baby girl in Algeria - Aug 30, 2011
- NATO operation in Libya to continue: Obama - Sep 21, 2011
- UN urges increased efforts to achieve sustainable energy for all - Jan 17, 2012
- Gaddafi's death marks historic transition for Libya: Ban - Oct 21, 2011
- Eliasson sworn in as deputy UN chief - Jul 03, 2012
- UN holds Holocaust memorial ceremony - Jan 28, 2012
- UN chief may chair Cairo conference on Libya - Apr 12, 2011
- UN calls urgent meeting on Libya - Aug 24, 2011
- UN chief calls for an immediate ceasefire and a peaceful transition of power in Libya - Aug 23, 2011
Tags: assembly president, ban ki moon, cannes france, chief general, conflict, general assembly, governing body, libya, muammar gaddafi, nasser, national transitional council, nov 2, ntc, spokesman, summit, surprise visit, un secretary general, united nations, xinhua