UN chief ‘deeply saddened’ by losses in Pakistan floodsAugust 2nd, 2010 - 1:47 pm ICT by IANS
United Nations, Aug 2 (IANS) UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has been “deeply saddened” by the loss of lives and livelihoods in Pakistan due to floods, the worst in eight decades, in which more than 1,400 people have been killed.
“The secretary-general is deeply saddened by the significant loss of lives, livelihoods, and infrastructure in Pakistan, following the recent heavy monsoon rains that have caused the worst floods in the last 80 years, affecting more than one million of people,” Xinhua quoted Ban as saying in a statement.
Ban offered his “deepest condolences to the people and government of Pakistan” and reiterated the UN’s full commitment to supporting the country “in meeting the humanitarian needs of the population affected”.
In addition to the aid the United Nations is already providing, the secretary general is authorising the disbursement of up to $10 million from the Central Emergency Response Fund to help address the pressing needs of the population, the statement said.
Continuing floods and monsoon rains have reportedly killed more than 1,400 people and affected over 1.5 million in different parts of Pakistan as of Sunday.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province has been the worst hit with over 500 houses washed away by floodwaters. Over 90 highways have been damaged and many big thoroughfares in the province closed for traffic.
With more rain forecast for the next 24 hours, some areas face further threats, reports said.
- UN allocates 18 million dollar aid for flood victims of Pakistan - Aug 03, 2010
- Over 300 killed, 6 million affected in Pakistan floods - Sep 18, 2011
- Pakistan floods: Toll rises to 412 - Sep 25, 2011
- UN calls for over $350 mn to help flood-hit Pakistan - Sep 20, 2011
- UN chief calls for more aid to flooded Pakistan (Second Lead) - Aug 15, 2010
- UN chief arrives in Pakistan to see flood devastation - Aug 15, 2010
- Stocks run out in Pakistan's flood-hit areas: UN - Oct 30, 2011
- Pakistan flood toll reaches 1,300 - Aug 01, 2010
- Heavy monsoon rain kills at least 18 in southeast Pakistan - Aug 13, 2011
- Half million people affected in Pakistan floods (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- UN chief appeals for aid as flood crisis worsens in Pak - Aug 15, 2010
- UN fears Pakistan's flood victims moving toward Iran - Sep 02, 2010
- China to give $5 million more for Pakistan's flood victims - Oct 07, 2011
- Floods kill 50 in China - Jun 11, 2011
- More than 5 million still affected by floods in Pakistan - Nov 26, 2011
Tags: 10 million, 5 million, aug 2, ban ki moon, deepest condolences, disbursement, emergency response fund, floodwaters, government of pakistan, heavy monsoon rains, highways, khyber, livelihoods, one million, rain forecast, thoroughfares, un secretary general, united nations, worst floods, xinhua