UN chief condemns killing of workers in SomaliaDecember 24th, 2011 - 5:07 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, Dec 24 (IANS) UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has strongly condemned the killing of two World Food Programme (WFP) officials and a member of a partner organisation in Somalia.
A gunfire attack which killed the three people took place in Mataban town of Hiiran province. The workers were monitoring food distribution in camps for internally displaced persons in the area, Xinhua reported.
The secretary-general called on Somali authorities to “ensure the safety of humanitarian workers”, UN spokesman Martin Nesirky said. “He (Ban) expects those responsible to be swiftly brought to justice.”
According to a WFP news release, the attacker who gunned down the three workers has given himself up to the authorities.
WFP operations have been temporarily suspended in the town while the case is under investigation.
The UN spokesman said the incident “illustrates the risks that humanitarian workers can face while working in one of the world’s most difficult and dangerous environments”.
- UN chief briefs UAE on Somalia crisis - Jul 29, 2011
- British government 'strongly condemns' the kidnapping of two peacekeepers in Darfur - Aug 17, 2010
- UN chief condemns Pakistan bombing - Jan 11, 2012
- Flood-hit North Korea requests UN food aid - Aug 03, 2012
- Eliasson sworn in as deputy UN chief - Jul 03, 2012
- UN's Ban condemns 'deplorable acts' of violence in Nigeria - Dec 27, 2010
- Al Arabiya: Jordanian U.N. peacekeepers abducted in South Darfur released - Aug 17, 2010
- UN chief, General Assembly president visit Libya - Nov 02, 2011
- UN chief may chair Cairo conference on Libya - Apr 12, 2011
- UN Secretary-General condemns church bomb attack in Egypt - Jan 03, 2011
- UN chief deeply concerned over situation in Sudan - Jun 16, 2011
- UN chief 'saddened' by Afghan attacks - Dec 07, 2011
- UN to mark day commemorating peacekeepers - May 27, 2011
- UNSC calls for comprehensive peace strategy for Somalia - Mar 11, 2011
- UN chief slams attack on Pakistan's military training centre - May 14, 2011
Tags: attacker, authorities, ban ki moon, dangerous environments, dec 24, food distribution, gunfire, humanitarian workers, news release, partner organisation, somalia, spokesman, un secretary general, united nations, wfp operations, world food programme, xinhua