UN chief appalled by Somali pirates’ killing of AmericansFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 3:16 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb.23 (ANI): UN Secretary-General Ban Ki- Moon has expressed dismay and anguish over reported killing of four American hostages by Somali pirates, and has called for extra efforts to tackle criminal elements.
In a press note, he said: “Piracy off the coast of Somalia is unacceptable,”
He welcomed ongoing efforts of the international community to stamp it out and bring the perpetrators to justice.
According to Xinhua, four Americans who were on a sailing trip were hijacked off the Somali coast last week and shot dead by the Somali pirates. (ANI)
Somali military officials, told media that when they boarded the yacht, and they founded all four hostages dead.
Somalia has had no central government since the 1991 civil.
Somalia pirates’ first targets were local dhows and cargo ships, often UN World Food Programme ships delivering food to starving Somalians.
They have now become a big threat to international shipping, boarding vessels with AK-47s and rocket-propelled grenades to seek their fortunes.
The pirates have pushed further into the Indian Ocean, making the entire region a “war risk zone” in the eyes of maritime insurers.
Recently, Somalian pirates hijacked the M V Sinin, a Maltese-flagged bulk carrier with 23 crew, including 10 Indians.
- Family of Indian hostage held by Somali pirates hoping for government aid - Feb 21, 2011
- Ship with nine Indian crew hijacked, proceeds to Somalia - Feb 14, 2011
- Danish ship taken hostage by Somali pirates - Mar 01, 2011
- Virginia court convicted Somali pirates accused of killing four Americans - Mar 11, 2011
- Hostages rescued from Somali pirates say they were threatened, tortured - Mar 16, 2011
- Pirates seize vessel with 10 Indians off Oman - Feb 14, 2011
- Pirates seize Indian vessel with 14 crew off Oman (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Tenth Somali pirate pleads guilty in pirate attack that left 4 Americans killed - May 27, 2011
- Indian cargo ship hijacked by Somali pirates off Oman - Jan 12, 2011
- Maltese-flagged cargo ship released after being hijacked - Jul 29, 2010
- Indian dhows sail to Somalia for commercial considerations: navy - Apr 13, 2010
- UK Navy gave captured Somali pirates 'halal meat', nicotine patch before released - Apr 12, 2011
- India, Somalia agree to tackle Somali pirates menace jointly - Mar 28, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack U.S.-operated container ship - Dec 11, 2010
- French Navy helps free hijacked Indian boat off Somalia (Lead) - Jul 16, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,