UN calls urgent meeting on LibyaAugust 24th, 2011 - 11:34 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, Aug 24 (IANS) The UN has called an urgent meeting on Libya Friday to “develop ways in which the international community can work together on the post-conflict phase”, a spokesperson said.
The meeting will take place with the heads of regional and international organisations, Xinhua reported.
“The secretary-general has invited the heads of the League of Arab States, the African Union (AU), the European Union (EU) and the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) for a meeting on Libya on Aug 26 in New York,” said Ban Ki-moon’s spokesperson Farhan Haq at a press briefing.
Haq said Abdel-Elah Al Khatib, special envoy of the secretary-general to Libya, and Ian Martin, special advisor dealing with post conflict planning, were in Doha for discussions with the National Transitional Council (NTC) leadership on its expectations for UN assistance to Libyan authorities and its people.
He said Ban has been speaking to a number of world leaders over the past two days in an effort to coordinate the international response to the recent developments in Libya.
The secretary-general also spoke over phone with Mustafa Abdel-Jalil, NTC chairman, who expressed appreciation for the UN’s work in Libya and the role played by the secretary-general’s special envoy.
Ban stressed the need for national unity, reconciliation and inclusiveness as well as the protection of diplomatic premises, the spokesperson said.
“Abdel-Jalil assured him that the National Transitional Council would take those issues seriously,” he said.
- UN chief discusses Libya with regional organisations - Aug 27, 2011
- UN to help Libya post-conflict - Aug 26, 2011
- UN chief calls on Gaddafi's forces to stop fighting - Aug 23, 2011
- UN chief urges political solution to Libyan crisis - Aug 11, 2011
- UN chief calls for an immediate ceasefire and a peaceful transition of power in Libya - Aug 23, 2011
- UN chief, General Assembly president visit Libya - Nov 02, 2011
- Russia to protect its companies in Libya - Sep 03, 2011
- UN to help rebel-led NTC build Libya's future: Ban - Sep 02, 2011
- Libyan rebels' military chief killed - Jul 29, 2011
- UN appoints special representative for Libya - Sep 20, 2011
- UN chief to attend London conference on Libya - Mar 29, 2011
- UN pledges key role in Libya reconstruction - Sep 21, 2011
- India supports Libyan rebels at UN - Sep 17, 2011
- NATO chief makes unannounced visit to Libya - Nov 01, 2011
- Libya's rebels ready for truce if Gaddafi also complies - Apr 01, 2011
Tags: ban ki moon, doha, elah, haq, inclusiveness, international organisations, international response, league of arab states, libya, libyan authorities, meeting will take place, national transitional council, national unity, oic, recent developments, reconciliation, secretary general, spokesperson, world leaders, xinhua