UN calls for assistance to Ethiopia’s two million drought victimsApril 29th, 2011 - 7:45 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, April 29 (IANS) UN officials have called for assistance to be stepped up to an estimated two million Ethiopians affected by the drought, Xinhua reports.
Water is being transported by trucks to residents in drought-hit areas of the southern and southeastern lowlands of the east African country, said the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in an update Thursday.
Emergency conditions are likely to persist until the next rainy season arrives in October.
UN aid agencies, which are working with national authorities and non-governmental organisations (NGOs), are also handing out food to households in need in addition to providing health care, veterinary services and livestock feed.
UN agencies have said that the areas risk increased threats to disease outbreaks as the Horn of African country has been facing a drought in recent years.
Meanwhile, the Ethiopian government has requested an additional $75 million as humanitarian assistance this month and in May.
- UN declares famine in two southern regions of Somalia - Jul 20, 2011
- Stocks run out in Pakistan's flood-hit areas: UN - Oct 30, 2011
- UN warns famine could spread in Somalia without international aid - Aug 02, 2011
- Afghanistan, UN appeal for $437 mn in aid - Jan 28, 2012
- Food crisis looms in Africa's Sahel region - Jan 31, 2012
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- India pledges $8 mn to famine-stricken Horn of Africa - Sep 14, 2011
- UN declares end of famine in Somalia - Feb 04, 2012
- UN estimates another $840 mn needed for Pakistan - Apr 26, 2012
- UN relief chief visits Afghanistan - May 08, 2012
- US to give $12 mn in aid for Syrians - Mar 16, 2012
- UN agency seeks $32 mn for Myanmar - Aug 10, 2012
- Drought threatens 2 mn kids in Horn of Africa: UN - Jul 09, 2011
- United Nations and NGOs appeal for aid in Niger - Feb 11, 2010
- UNICEF appeals for $1.2 bn to help children in 2012 - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: april 29, disease outbreaks, drought victims, emergency conditions, ethiopian government, ethiopians, horn of african country, households, humanitarian affairs, humanitarian assistance, livestock feed, national authorities, ngos, non governmental organisations, rainy season, southeastern lowlands, two million, united nations, veterinary services, xinhua