UN approves sending 300 observers to SyriaApril 22nd, 2012 - 12:42 am ICT by IANS
Washington, April 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The UN Security Council (UNSC) Saturday authorised a dispatch of 300 military observers to Syria to supervise on the ceasefire between the government and opposition forces.
The observers will be in the country for an initial period of 90 days within the international community’s efforts to stop over a year-long armed conflict that killed about 9,000 people, according to UN estimates.
Under the UNSC resolution approved Saturday, a mission of military observers and civilian personnel will be sent to Syria in a matter of urgency depending on assessment of situation in Syria by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.
The resolution “becomes fundamental to resolve the conflict in Syria. Any extended interpretations and deviations from the resolution are inadmissible,” said Russia’s UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin.
A ceasefire, part of UN envoy Kofi Annan’s peace plan, came into force in Syria April 12, although there have been reports of numerous violations of the truce by both government and opposition forces.
- UNSC adopts plan to send observers to Syria - Apr 15, 2012
- Russia proposes deadline to stop Syria violence - Aug 17, 2012
- UN extends mission of 300 observers in Syria - Jul 21, 2012
- UN to send 300 peacekeepers to Syria by May-end - May 02, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- 'No Syrian crisis settlement without Russia, China' - Apr 28, 2012
- Russia urges new UN envoy to stick to Syria peace plan - Aug 18, 2012
- Putin to meet Annan to discuss Syria crisis - Jul 16, 2012
- Ban backs UN presence in Syria - Aug 12, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- Strengthen ceasefire in Syria: Annan - Apr 23, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil war: Russia - Apr 21, 2012
- Arab invasion in Syria 'not an option': UN envoy - Sep 03, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: ambassador, armed conflict, ban ki moon, ceasefire, civilian personnel, deviations, initial period, kofi annan, military observers, opposition forces, peace plan, ria novosti, syria, truce, un secretary general, un security council, unsc resolution, urgency, vd, vitaly