UK’s Women’s Institute wants brothels legalizedNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:30 am ICT by admin
The resolution was passed by the 6,000-strong Hampshire County Federation of WIs.
The matter will now be debated by the organisation nationally.
“It seems to be a sensible way forward to legalise brothels. We all know it goes on and it’s the best way we can protect the women who work on the streets in big cities,” the Daily Mail quoted Jean Johnson, of Holybourne WI, who led the drive, as saying.
“We are not trying to help the men who use prostitutes. We are trying to help the women who end up as prostitutes. They should be allowed to work in a clean and safe environment,” she added.
Johnson said that the WI was not just limited to knitting and baking.
“We get involved in important issues of the day and sometimes come up with some quite radical ideas,” she said.
The WI, which has more than 211,000 members, campaigned for equal pay for women in 1942 and for the government to invest in Aids research in 1986. (ANI)
- Abandoned US brothel to become museum - Aug 09, 2012
- Brit Men who pay for sex could soon be slapped with a fine - Dec 21, 2007
- British teacher who pimped his wife faces ban - Aug 14, 2012
- French minister seeks end of prostitution in Europe - Jun 23, 2012
- Archeologists reveal Boston brothel secrets - Feb 03, 2011
- SA prostitutes blast cops for scaring World Cup customers away - Jun 21, 2010
- Report says students being recruited in Victoria's Asian-dominated prostitution racket - Jan 21, 2010
- Argentine province offers prostitutes airfare to go home - Jul 24, 2012
- Move to legalise prostitution welcomed - Dec 10, 2009
- Women''s Institute''s members in search of world''s best brothel - Jul 29, 2008
- Judge praises women for running `model' brothel - May 14, 2010
- New Zealand to have its first male brothel for female clients - Aug 03, 2010
- Some Sri Lankan TV actresses in prostitution ring - Jul 26, 2011
- Tale of twin 70-year-old Dutch prostitutes - Mar 08, 2012
- Illegal brothels sprouting across Australia - Nov 15, 2010