UK’s top 10 haunted hotspotsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:59 am ICT by admin
Boleyn took Blickling to the top spot with the help of her “fellow residents”: Sir John Fastolfe, the 15th century knight whose name was adapted for Shakespeare’s comic character Falstaff, and Sir Henry Hobart, killed in a duel in 1698.
“Oh yes, those three. Some of our visitors do mention them, especially around May 19, the anniversary of Anne’s death,” the Telegraph quoted Jan Brookes, Blickling’s house manager, as saying.
“One or two of our volunteers report little bits too: the ‘Grey Lady’, someone coming through the wall and disappearing again… but then, this is a very old house with a lot of clanking in the pipes,” he added.
National Trust officials chose their top 10 on the basis of how often the spirits appeared, the celebrity of the ghost, and whether it offered “something that little bit different”.
The second spot was taken by Dunster Castle, Somerset, where even the gift shop is haunted. Shop staff have reported a general air of menace, a “mysterious man in green” and stock inexplicably falling from the shelves.
At the third place was Quarry Bank Mill, Cheshire, which is said be home to a ghostly gang of former workers.
Other properties with ghosts roaming the corridors include Newton House, Dinefwr, Carmarthenshire, where visitors report invisible hands squeezing their throats; Gibside Hall, Tyne and Wear, which is thought to be haunted by The Unhappy Countess; Lyme Park, Cheshire, where a phantom funeral cort
- Anne Boleyn death and burial secrets revealed - Dec 07, 2010
- History, angling and drama on book-shelf (IANS Books this Week) - Jul 14, 2012
- 24 January 1536 turned charismatic Henry VIII into a tyrannical monster - Apr 18, 2009
- British couple jailed for sexually abusing patients - Apr 12, 2012
- Blood group anomaly 'caused Tudor king's reproductive issues, mental impairment' - Mar 04, 2011
- Radcliffe wants to visit Indian ghost town (With Images) - Jan 26, 2012
- Audrina Patridge prefers living in Britain - Jul 08, 2011
- Balaclava-clad Man U fans' 'death threat' to Rooney over possible Man City move - Oct 22, 2010
- 73 years old Doris Birch of Herne Bay alleges that there is a groping ghost in her house - Nov 21, 2011
- All my works are personal alchemy: Booker prize winner (IANS Books) - Dec 25, 2009
- Britain's "most-haunted" house up for grabs - Sep 11, 2010
- "Ghost Hunters" Runs Live For Six Hours On Sify - Nov 01, 2010
- Love Hewitt to direct first film - Jan 18, 2011
- Jackson's family compound haunted by ghosts - Aug 22, 2010
- Not thrills in 'Nagavalli', avoid it! (Kannada Movie Review) - Jun 24, 2012
Tags: anne boleyn, blickling hall norfolk, cheshire, comic character, dunster castle, fellow residents, ghost of henry, gibside hall, grey lady, headless ghost, inexplicably, invisible hands, lyme park, national trust, quarry bank mill, shop staff, sir john fastolfe