UK’s strongest beer bannedDecember 4th, 2009 - 2:16 pm ICT by ANI
London, December 04 (ANI): Authorities in the UK have banned a beer with 18.2 percent alcoholic content, claiming it promotes binge drinking.
The Tokyo* beer, which was launched in the summer, has also been criticised for its marketing.
The label on the drink containing six units of alcohol per 330ml, states: “Everything in moderation, including moderation itself. What logically follows is that you must, from time, have excess. This beer is for those times.”
The drinks watchdog the Portman Group has issued a retailer alert bulletin meant for shops to take out the beer from the market.
However, Aberdeen-based company called BrewDog, which makes the beer, is not worried, as the drink is primarily exported.
“They have to credit the consumer with some kind of intelligence, and for them to go off the rails and ban this because of what it says in a witty remark on the side just smacks of the nanny state,” Sky News quoted the director, Martin Dickie, as saying.
Tokyo* beer is the strongest beer in the UK. (ANI)
- British firm brews world's strongest beer - Jul 23, 2010
- Scottish brewer Brewdog have made the strongest Beer in the word - 'The End of History' - Jul 23, 2010
- Steroid-packed beer contains Olympic banned substances - Jul 26, 2012
- 'Extreme beer' craze leaves UK alcohol campaigners worried - Mar 28, 2009
- UK firm creates 'world's strongest beer' with 41 per cent ale - Feb 17, 2010
- Alcoholic ginger beer set to be most popular summer drink in England - May 30, 2010
- World's strongest beer being served inside dead animals - Jul 24, 2010
- Brit firm launches world's strongest beer at $762 a bottle - Jul 23, 2010
- United Breweries launches locally brewed Heineken beer - Sep 13, 2011
- Homebrew Kits To Accelerate The Process Of Homebrewing - Jan 11, 2011
- Binge drinkers at 'higher risk of heart disease' - Nov 24, 2010
- Brewdog 'End of History' Beer Packaged in Dead Animals - Jul 23, 2010
- Scottish Punk beer may be banned over overtly aggressive description - Nov 19, 2008
- Frequent tipple halves rheumatoid arthritis risk - Jul 11, 2012
- Snoop Dogg under fire for promoting new fruity alcoholic drink 'Blast' - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: aberdeen, alcohol, alcoholic content, authorities, binge, criticised, dickie, drinks, everything in moderation, intelligence, london, marketing, nanny state, portman group, sky news, strongest beer, tokyo, watchdog, witty remark