UK’s Sheffield FC to sell 1858 football rules to net millionsMay 1st, 2011 - 2:31 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 1 (ANI): A pamphlet outlining the rules of club football is expected to fetch up to 1.2 million pounds at auction for Sheffield FC, the world’s oldest football club.
Sheffield FC chairman has described it as ‘the ultimate prize in terms of football memorabilia’.
According to the Daily Mail, the lot includes both the original handwritten draft rules (1858) and the only known surviving copy of the printed Rules, Regulations, and Laws of the Sheffield Foot-Ball Club (1859).
Other documents in the archive detail the first floodlit game.Gabriel Heaton, senior specialist in the Sotheby’s books department, told the Financial Times: ‘It reflects the fact that football is now truly a global game.’
He said it was bound to attract international attention and was ‘an important historical document.’ (ANI)
- First rule book of football to be auctioned - Jul 12, 2011
- John Lennon's handwritten lyrics note fetches $1.2 million - Jun 19, 2010
- Byron's personal letters on rivals, religion and romance sold for record price - Oct 30, 2009
- Original basketball rules fetch $4.3m at auction - Dec 12, 2010
- 150-year-old rare photos from Dalhousie collection on sale - Sep 24, 2011
- Dempo buys stakes in Danish football club - Aug 29, 2011
- Mohun Bagan defeat Sheffield United in Platinum Jubilee Cup - Nov 12, 2010
- It is a dream come true to coach Argentina: Sabella - Aug 31, 2011
- 14th century King Arthur text to go under the hammer at Sotheby's - Nov 12, 2010
- John Lennon's 'A Day In The Life' Lyrics To Sell At Auction - Apr 30, 2010
- Lord Nelson's letter reveals his desperation to fight the French - Jul 13, 2010
- Dylan's handwritten lyrics fetch $422,500 - Dec 13, 2010
- Mahatma Gandhi's glasses, prayer book up for auction - Apr 02, 2012
- Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' lyrics to be auctioned - May 20, 2010
- IT giant Infosys to sponsor I-League team Pune FC - Oct 22, 2011
Tags: auction, books department, club football, daily mail, draft rules, financial times, foot ball, football club, football memorabilia, football rules, global game, handwritten draft, heaton, historical document, international attention, may 1, pamphlet, s books, sheffield, sotheby s