UK’s richest man Mittal lost 1.9 million pounds per hour last yearApril 26th, 2009 - 1:23 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 26 (ANI): Indian origin steel magnate Lakshmi Niwas Mittal lost as much as 23.5 billion pounds in the last one year due to the ongoing financial crisis world over.
The economic crisis has wiped 155 billion pounds from the fortunes of Britain’s wealthiest individuals and has almost halved the number of the nation’s billionaires.
Figures compiled for the Sunday Times Rich List 2009 reveal that the number of billionaires has fallen from 75 to 43 in the past 12 months.
Mittal, still the richest man in the UK, has seen his wealth plunging to 10.8 billion pounds from 33 billion pounds last year. He dropped 1.9 million pounds an hour.
The Steel tycoon is still around 4 billion pounds richer than closest rival Roman Abramovich.
The Chelsea owner, 42, saw his fortune dive by 4.7 billion pounds to 7 billion pounds. Kirsty Bertarelli stuill remains Britain’s wealthiest woman. The former Miss UK and biotechnology tycoon husband Ernesto, both 37, share a 5 billion pounds fortune despite losing 650 million pounds. Other big losers include F1 One supremo Bernie Ecclestone, 78.
The current estimates suggest that the 1,000 wealthiest people in the UK have seen over half of their cumulative wealth wiped out by the recession, from 412 billion pounds in 2008 to around 200 billion pounds today, The Daily Telegraph reported. (ANI)
- Lakshmi Mittal stays at top of UK's rich list, Anil Agarwal at 10th - Apr 25, 2010
- Recession notwithstanding, Abramovich worth nearly 11 billion pounds - Feb 16, 2010
- Man City owner overtakes steel tycoon Mittal again in football rich owners list - Oct 07, 2010
- Blair met Mittal over Kazakhstan deal: Report - Oct 30, 2011
- Mexican Carlos Slim tops world's rich list - Mar 11, 2010
- India's richest lost 20 percent of wealth: Forbes - Oct 27, 2011
- 'Mittal loses 16 billion pounds in credit crunch' - Oct 05, 2008
- Mittal second in Britain's richest football club owners list - Jan 07, 2009
- Mittal tops British rich list again, Hindujas are fourth - Apr 26, 2008
- Forbes names Baidu founder Robin Li Chinese mainland's richest - Apr 29, 2011
- Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal among 'World's Most Powerful Billionaires' - Jan 28, 2010
- Thai Indian entrepreneur's wealth soars by 252 percent - Sep 02, 2010
- Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal in top 10 of world's rich list (Lead) - Mar 11, 2010
- Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal in top 10 of world's rich list - Mar 11, 2010
- Lakshmi Mittal replaces Mukesh Ambani as world's richest Indian - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: 12 months, bernie ecclestone, big losers, billionaires, chelsea owner, daily telegraph, economic crisis, ernesto, financial crisis, fortune, fortunes, indian origin, mittal, recession, richest man, roman abramovich, steel magnate, steel tycoon, sunday times rich list, times rich list