UK’s hardened criminals having a ball with TV and breakfast in bed!April 17th, 2009 - 2:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr. 17 (ANI): While the recession is forcing Britons to cut down the cost of living, UK prisoners are leading a luxurious life, with direct access to Sky TV, video games and even English breakfast in bed.
After the revelation of the cushy life of Britain’s lags, Jail bosses were left facing the flak from taxpayers, the Daily Star reports.
Glyn Travis, assistant general secretary of the Prison Officers’ Association, said: “We have to ask the purpose of having games consoles and Sky TV in prisons. It plays no part in the rehabilitation of prisoners.”
Shock figures showed more than 1,000 have Sky TV beamed directly into their cells, while 13,000 relax with games consoles. They can also get cash for good behaviour, apart from a full English breakfast in bed.
Satellite channels are available in communal areas at 20 prisons run directly by the Government.
But three private jails - still paid for by taxpayers - let 1,020 inmates enjoy Sky in their cells.The figures were revealed by the Ministry of Justice as it emerged that prisoners at HMP Ashwell, Leicestershire, played computer games during a riot.
To top it all, the prisoners are ignoring chances to escape because of the luxury conditions.
Matthew Elliott, head of the Taxpayers’ Alliance, said: “While law-abiding families struggle to pay the bills, prisoners increasingly seem to have a cushy life.”
The Prison Service has admitted paying 221,726 pounds for computer game systems to keep lags happy.
However, the Ministry of Justice said: “Privileges are earned by prisoners through good behaviour and performance and are removed if they fail to maintain acceptable standards.” (ANI)
- British jail where prisoners enjoy adult DVDs - Jul 30, 2012
- Spoiled convicts of Britain - Oct 14, 2011
- Brit prisoners get 220,000 pounds worth of games consoles - May 27, 2009
- Kalmadi falls in line - for food at Tihar Jail - May 05, 2011
- Islamic inmates in UK jail do not want to watch X Factor - Apr 12, 2010
- Inmates 'furious' over George Michael's 'special' treatment in jail - Sep 19, 2010
- Judge says jail is 'too easy' for crook - Oct 02, 2011
- Russian prisoners get tanning beds - Jan 20, 2011
- George Michael painting walls in prison - Sep 26, 2010
- Dangerous prisoners in Britain to become hairdressers - Jan 27, 2011
- High-flying Janardhana Reddy is now ordinary prisoner - Sep 06, 2011
- Brits making beeline for breaking into cushy UK prisons! - Jun 04, 2008
- Female prison officer facing jail over inmate phone sex - Mar 19, 2010
- Giving wings of education to lives behind bars - Apr 03, 2011
- Inmates too comfy to seek escape from Brit jails! - Apr 25, 2008
Tags: acceptable standards, breakfast in bed, communal areas, cushy life, full english breakfast, games consoles, good behaviour, having a ball, luxurious life, matthew elliott, ministry of justice, prison officers association, prison service, private jails, rehabilitation of prisoners, satellite channels, sky tv, star reports, taxpayers alliance, uk prisoners