UK’s first Muslim Miss Universe entrant told to rot in hellMarch 11th, 2011 - 2:03 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar. 11 (ANI): Great Britain’s first Muslim Miss Universe entrant, Shanna Bukhari, has revealed that religious zealots told her to rot in hell when she decided to compete in the event.
Twenty-four-year-old Bukhari said that she is hoping to send out a message that beauty competitions should not be off limits to Muslim women.
“I want other girls from Muslim communities to feel they can do this. There is so much more to it than looking pretty and as the competitions adapt, so must we. My family are right behind me and I have had support from many others on Facebook - including friends who wear headscarves - after I set up a campaign,” the Daily Mail quoted Bukhari, as saying.
Admitting that some people have reacted with fury to the idea, she said: “Three men wrote that they would not support me because what I was doing was sinful. They said I should rot in hell which is pretty shocking.”
“But they contradict themselves by going out clubbing, drinking and smoking,” she added. (ANI)
- Fanatics tell Brit Muslim girl in Miss Universe competition to 'rot in hell' - Mar 11, 2011
- British Muslim, a Miss Universe contender, gets death threat - Mar 20, 2011
- Bukhari's anti-Anna stand draws flak from Muslims - Aug 23, 2011
- Victim asks court to jail Pakistani rapist for life - Jun 23, 2012
- Maulanas ask Muslims to back Anna - Aug 22, 2011
- Azam refuses to call ceasefire with Bukhari - Apr 10, 2012
- Cancel my son-in-law's ticket: Bukhari - Apr 06, 2012
- Obama's State of the Union Full Text - Jan 26, 2011
- Pakistani ringleader jailed for raping girl 30 times - Jun 22, 2012
- Muslim clerics, leaders welcome apex court ruling on Haj (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Quran exhibition called off after protests - Sep 24, 2011
- Palins' Facebook target refuses to accept apology - Nov 20, 2010
- Norway killer was interested in hunting, bodybuilding - Jul 23, 2011
- Parrot 'pushes woman to the edge' with faulty fire alarm sound - Feb 11, 2011
- 'Imported Kamariya' fame Scarlett eyes period film - Jun 12, 2012