Ukraine to unveil memorial to Steve JobsJuly 28th, 2012 - 8:56 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A memorial to late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs will be unveiled in the Ukrainian Black Sea port of Odessa.
A two-metre, hand-shaped steel memorial has a hole in the centre in the shape of the Apple’s trademark logo.
The 200-kg sculpture will be lit up in the evenings, city authorities said.
“I’ve watched all the videos with Steve and noted that he often gesticulated. He communicated with people with these gestures,” Kirill Maksimenko, an Odessa sculptor who made Jobs’s “Palm” with spare car parts and scrap metal, told news website Dumskaya.net.
Among Maksimenko’s previous works are insects made of metal and the Iron Cheburashka, an installation featuring a popular Soviet animated cartoon character.
The IT Progress Fund in Russia has also launched a contest for the best idea for a Jobs memorial in St. Petersburg, Russia’s second largest city.
“This can be any idea - a classical monument, steel, memorial plaque or even some kind of modern electronic installation,” the organisers said. The deadline for applications is Aug 6.
Soon after Jobs’s death Oct 5, 2011, a bronze monument to him was unveiled in Budapest, Hungary, while the tiny Brazilian town of Jundiai near Sao Paulo named a street after him.
- Steve Jobs' monument to come up in St. Petersburg - Sep 04, 2012
- Apple flash mob to be held in St.Petersburg - Oct 14, 2011
- Apple to hold Steve Jobs memorial Sunday - Oct 15, 2011
- Jobs changed the world: Medvedev - Oct 06, 2011
- Russian orthodox church opens Facebook account - May 16, 2012
- Apple founding document auctioned for $1.59 mn - Dec 14, 2011
- Russia asks Ukraine to extradite Putin plot suspect - Mar 01, 2012
- Ukraine to extradite Putin death plot suspect - Aug 24, 2012
- Boris Yeltsin's statue vandalised in Russia - Aug 25, 2012
- Maria Sharapova's new haircut sparks internet frenzy - Apr 18, 2012
- Putin assassination plot uncovered - Feb 27, 2012
- Gagarin statue unveiled in London - Jul 14, 2011
- Petrescu confirmed as Dynamo coach - Aug 17, 2012
- Fans want Michael Jackson monument in Moscow - Aug 30, 2012
- Ronald Reagan monument unveiled in Georgia - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: animated cartoon character, black sea port of odessa, bronze monument, budapest hungary, city authorities, electronic installation, gestures, jundiai, memorial plaque, oct 5, port of odessa, previous works, ria novosti, scrap metal, sculptor, sea port, spare car, st petersburg russia, steve jobs, trademark logo