Ukraine illegally tapped Europe-bound Russian gas: GazpromJanuary 4th, 2009 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Jan 4 (RIA Novosti) Ukraine illegally tapped 50 million cubic metres of Russian natural gas bound for European consumers, a spokesman for Russian energy giant Gazprom said Sunday.”Over the past 24 hours (since Saturday), we fed 295 million cubic metres of gas into the Ukrainian gas transportation system that was more than requested by European consumers, but we had only 270 million on the output (data),” Sergei Kupriyanov said.
Russia cut off gas supplies to Ukraine Thursday after last-ditch talks on Kiev’s outstanding $2 billion gas debt and a new contract for 2009 failed late on New Year’s Eve.
Some European countries, including Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania, have said that Russian gas deliveries through the Ukrainian pipeline have fallen.
The official said Gazprom has proposed to the European Union (EU) to conduct independent monitoring of gas transit via Ukraine.
- Ukraine stops all gas supplies to Europe: Gazprom - Jan 07, 2009
- Russian gas deliveries to Turkey, Balkan states halted (Lead) - Jan 06, 2009
- Now Russian gas to Europe to pass through Turkey - Dec 29, 2011
- Gas stolen in Ukrainian transportation system: Russian firm - Jan 14, 2009
- Ukraine ex-PM gets 7-year jail for abuse of office - Oct 11, 2011
- Ukraine denies block, says Russian gas is flowing (Lead) - Jan 13, 2009
- Ukraine refuses to transit gas for Europe: Gazprom (Lead) - Jan 14, 2009
- Bulgaria seeks gas compensation from Gazprom - Jan 24, 2009
- Ukraine slashes Russian gas purchases for 2012 - Sep 01, 2011
- Russia fully cuts gas to Ukraine, ups supplies to Europe (Lead) - Jan 01, 2009
- EU demands end to Ukraine-Russia gas row - Jan 03, 2009
- Moscow to hold summit on gas row Saturday: Kremlin - Jan 15, 2009
- US urges Ukraine, Russia to settle gas dispute - Jan 02, 2009
- Russia's Gazprom world's most profitable firm in 2011 - Jul 31, 2012
- Medvedev rescinds agreement on gas monitors - Jan 12, 2009