UK woman calls police over stolen snowmanDecember 4th, 2010 - 4:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 4 (ANI): A woman in Britain has infuriated police after she dialled the emergency number only to tell them that her snowman had been stolen.
The police said the woman figured it demanded their involvement because she had used 1-pound coins for the eyes and teaspoons for the arms.
The woman, from Chatham, Kent, has been “spoken to” by officers to advise her about what constitutes a real emergency.
Kent Police issued a transcript of the “completely irresponsible” call which they received overnight as they fielded thousands of calls from people because of the sub-zero conditions.
The woman is heard saying during the 999 call that there has been a theft from outside of her house, and that she found it was gone after she stepped out for a cigarette.
The operator asks the woman, “who’s gone?”, and she replies back, “my snowman”.
The incredulous operator than tells her that it is an emergency line and she should not be ringing it to report the theft of a snowman.
“This call could have cost someone’s life if there was a genuine emergency and they couldn’t get through,” the Daily Mail quoted Chief Inspector Simon Black, from Kent Police’s force contact and control centre, as saying.
“It was completely irresponsible. We have spoken to her and advised her what is a 999 call, and this clearly was not.
“We do have powers to prosecute people for misusing the 999 system, but in this case the woman genuinely thought this was a theft that she should report because she’d used pound coins for the eyes and teaspoons for the arms,” he added. (ANI)
- British woman reports stolen snowman to police - Dec 04, 2010
- A Chatham Woman Calls 999 Police Cops To Find Her Missing Snowman! - Dec 05, 2010
- Wife lures men for sex to kill husband, jailed - Jul 31, 2012
- Pet owner calls 999 to get rid of irritating cat playing with string! - Dec 30, 2009
- She made 800 hoax calls to cops, now faces jail - Dec 30, 2011
- Woman jailed for burning fiance` to death - Jan 04, 2012
- Couple calls ambulance to save cat - Aug 19, 2011
- Man plunges to death after girlfriend - Sep 03, 2011
- Bizarre 999 calls people make on Christmas! - Dec 25, 2010
- British police pay one mn pounds for customer surveys - May 15, 2011
- Ambulance knocks down injured biker - Aug 18, 2011
- 'Fake' nurse who treated 1,400 patients held - Sep 07, 2011
- Brit cop in charge of 999 calls for anti-social behaviour caught drunk in street - Feb 06, 2011
- British patient kicked to death by horse - Apr 15, 2012
- Klan Snowman With A Noose Offends Idaho Home's Neighbors - Dec 03, 2010