UK urges Pakistan to hand over extremist Rashid RaufNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:09 am ICT by admin
Rauf fled to Pakistan after killing his uncle, Muhammad Saeed, on April 24, 2002 in Birmingham. The Pakistan Police arrested him on August 10, 2006 in connection with the Heathrow Airport bombing on July 7.
Sources said that the Interior Ministry had informed the FO that, as Pakistan and the UK have no extradition treaty, the government would have to invoke the Extradition Act of 1972 by publishing a notification in the official gazette for Rauf’s extradition to Britain.
According to sources, the ministry further said that the withdrawal of terror cases against the suspected militant from Airport Police Station, Rawalpindi was necessary for Rauf’s extradition.
Sources said that London had requested Rauf’s custody under the Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters for Investigation Agreement, but the request was declined because of the absence of any such agreement.
The Daily Times quoted sources as saying that Islamabad, however, allowed British police to interrogate Rauf on the Birmingham murder case and his alleged involvement in terrorism. (ANI)
- Musharraf's arrest warrant in Benazir murder case sent to UK Foreign Affairs Dept. - Mar 10, 2011
- Pak not pursuing Musharraf's extradition from UK: Rehman Malik - Feb 23, 2011
- Pak intelligence's severe 'torture' saved Rauf from being extradited to UK - Sep 09, 2009
- Rashid Rauf training terrorist recruits in Pak to carry out attacks in Britain - Sep 14, 2009
- Pak student arrested in Britain charged for planning attacks in US - Jul 08, 2010
- Britain can't arrest Musharraf for lack of treaty, court told - Apr 23, 2011
- Conspirator of Kandahar hijacking may have been arrested - Apr 11, 2011
- Pakistan panel on 26/11 to visit India in February - Jan 13, 2012
- After Headley, Tiger Hanif to be test case for UK-India extradition - Mar 24, 2010
- Bali bomb suspect Umar Petek extradited from Pakistan to Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- Morphed images: India compiles proof on Pakistan origin (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Pakistan to hand over Bali bombing suspect to Indonesia - Aug 10, 2011
- Confirmed that 26/11 controlled from Pakistan: Chidambaram (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- U.S. presidential candidate Romney calls on Libyan rebels to extradite Lockerbie bomber - Aug 23, 2011
- Talks with Pakistan are not ruled out: Krishna - Apr 26, 2010
Tags: airport police, british high commission, british police, criminal matters, extradition act, extradition request, extradition treaty, fo, heathrow airport, intelligence agencies, interior ministry, interrogate, murder case, mutual legal assistance, official gazette, pakistan, police arrested, rawalpindi, saeed