UK tycoon Branson to explore ocean’s deepest partsApril 6th, 2011 - 2:08 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 6 (ANI): British business tycoon Sir Richard Branson has revealed plans to dive to the deepest parts of the world’s oceans in a single-person submarine.
The entrepreneur and explorer would take five dives over the next two years to destinations, including the Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean, the deepest point in any ocean, The Telegraph reports.
Branson has unveiled his new deep-sea submarine, an 18 feet-long white-and-blue airplane-like craft with stubby wings and a cockpit, at a yacht club in Newport Beach, California. This submarine would reportedly be capable of cruising for about 6.2 miles (10 kilometres) and can stay down unaided for 24 hours.
The British billionaire said that following his expedition, he would give shape to his dream of creating a larger submarine that can hold more people and offer paid deep-sea trips for tourists.
“Man has not explored our ocean. If someone says something is impossible we like to prove it’s possible. I love learning and I’m just very fortunate to participate in these kinds of adventures,” he said.
His fellow adventurer Chris Welsh would take a trip to the Mariana Trench later this year, followed by Sir Richard, who would then explore the Puerto Rico Trench in the Atlantic.
Although Sir Richard appeared enthusiastic and confident about his plans, he expressed fears over risks involved.
“The greatest danger is that there is a ship or a fishing net or something that we get snarled in on the bottom. In those circumstances it’s like being lost on the dark side of the moon. There is nothing that can come down to rescue us,” he said.
“We are trying to develop sonar to see if there is a ship or a Spanish galleon we are going to run into,” Sir Richard added. (ANI)
- China submersible to attempt 7,000-meter dive - Jun 03, 2012
- James Cameron dives to deepest point of ocean - Mar 26, 2012
- China deep-sea submersible sets diving record - Jun 17, 2012
- Chinese submersible dives to over 7,000 metres record - Jun 24, 2012
- Deepest secrets of the Marianas Trench revealed - Jan 17, 2011
- Deep sea trenches could combat climate change - Jan 18, 2011
- Virgin boss Branson's new toy - underwater 'plane' - Feb 01, 2010
- New record for deep-sea drill depth - Apr 30, 2012
- World's deepest undersea volcanic vents discovered - Apr 12, 2010
- Avatar 2 to be shot underwater? - Sep 20, 2010
- Robo submarine reaches deepest part of world's oceans - Jun 03, 2009
- James Cameron to break deep-sea dive world record - Dec 12, 2009
- Cameron celebrates 56th b'day by diving to bottom of world's deepest lake - Aug 17, 2010
- Chinese submersible Jiaolong reaches record depths - Jul 27, 2011
- China acquires deep-diving technology - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: billionaire, british business, business tycoon, cockpit, dark side of the moon, deep sea, dives, fellow adventurer, fishing net, galleon, mariana trench, newport beach california, pacific ocean, puerto rico trench, sea trips, sir richard branson, spanish galleon, stubby wings, telegraph reports, yacht club