UK troops to get Thai green curry and chicken tikka masala in new ration packsMay 13th, 2009 - 1:05 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 13 (ANI): The British Defence Ministry has seen fit to issue troops with a new menu of ration packs based on modern tastes and takeaway dishes such as Thai green curry and chicken tikka masala.
According to sources, the new “rat packs” also include sweet salmon pasta and mixed bean salad and are being trialled by armed forces in Afghanistan.
Lieutenant Commander Neil Horwood, the project manager who oversaw the selection process, watched troops whittle down the choices from 220 items to 20 new menus that cater for all tastes and dietary requirements, including vegetarian, halal, Hindu and Sikh.
Lt Cdr Horwood told The Scotsman: “We were aware that the soldier aged 18 to 25 is brought up with global food tastes. Our food is no longer ‘British’, it has a multi-cultural profile.
“It is an acknowledgement of the increasing physical demands made on a modern soldier, that more calories are recommended for soldiers serving in places like Afghanistan, where soldiers are carrying heavy loads and operating for long periods in arduous conditions,” he added.
Soldiers serving in every climate except the Arctic can use the menus, which come in boxes of three and weigh approximately 6kg.
Individual items are taken out and stored about each soldier’s person, according to their tastes. Each ration pack has an 18-month shelf life and includes a mixture of dry foods and boil-in-the-bag pouches, as well as sachets of seasoning and tiny bottles of Tobasco sauce.
Other foodstuffs include sausage and beans, strawberry porridge and Oreo cookies - all nutritionally endorsed by the Surgeon-General.
The new packs were sent to Afghanistan last week. (ANI)
- Now, halal, Sikh and Hindu diet for UK troops in Afghanistan - Feb 06, 2009
- 'Diet in a box' delivered to your door-the latest slimming fad in UK - Dec 13, 2010
- Caffeinated gum keeps Israeli pilots, commandos alert - May 18, 2012
- British balti chicken aiming to capture Indian taste buds - Apr 21, 2010
- Oreo aims to set a Guinness World Record for the most number of 'Likes' on Facebook - Feb 17, 2011
- Meat ration for Indian soldiers hiked - Jul 02, 2011
- Today (30th July) is Cheesecake Day - Jul 30, 2012
- World's favourite snack celebrates 100th birthday - Mar 06, 2012
- Heston Blumenthal Serves Worm Pizza To Kids In Hospital - Feb 08, 2011
- Watch your diet, you multi-tasking women! (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 06, 2012
- Kids risk ill health, shorter life with too much salt - Jul 02, 2011
- Twinkie log make their debut at the Iowa State fair - Aug 12, 2011
- Now have vodka 'Masala Marke'! - May 13, 2011
- McDonald playing around with new chicken recipes - May 23, 2011
- Parents' outrage over halal-only school dinners in Britain - Aug 06, 2010
Tags: arduous conditions, british defence ministry, chicken tikka masala, dietary requirements, foodstuffs, global food, heavy loads, lieutenant commander, long periods, mixed bean salad, new menu, oreo cookies, physical demands, porridge, rat packs, ration pack, sachets, thai green curry, uk troops, whittle