UK troops begin pullout from IraqApril 30th, 2009 - 7:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.30 (ANI): British troops are leaving Iraq today and returning home after over six years.
Britain will formally hand over operational authority in southern Iraq to the US.
British Defence Secretary John Hutton flew into Basra for a service to honor 179 British personnel who lost their lives in the conflict.
British Prime Minister Gordon Brown after talks in Downing Street with Iraqi counterpart Nouri al-Maliki, said: “Today we are taking steps to strengthen and deepen our relationship and to make it a long-term partnership of equals. Today marks the closing chapter of the combat mission in Iraq. The flag of 20 Armoured Brigade will be lowered as British combat patrols in Basra come to an end and our armed forces prepare to draw down.”
The end of combat missions marks a major landmark in a controversial and bloody military campaign that has lasted 2,232 days - longer than both World Wars.
Britain’s participation in the US-led war in Iraq has come at great human and financial cost.
The security situation in Basra province has improved significantly in the past year.
The UK handed military control of coalition troops in Basra to the US army at the end of March. All but about 400 of the remaining British troops in Iraq will be withdrawn by July 31. (ANI)
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- Last US troops out of Iraq (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- US troops to pull out from Iraq by 2011 end - Oct 22, 2011
- Iraq marks first Army Day - Jan 07, 2012
- U.S. officially ends nearly nine-year-long war in Iraq - Dec 15, 2011
- US troops to be out of Iraq this year - Dec 12, 2011
- Obama marks end of Iraq war - Dec 15, 2011
- US, Iraqi officials talk relations after troops drawdown - Oct 29, 2011
- US defence chief arrives in Iraq - Sep 01, 2010
- Radical Islamic cleric al-Sadr urges Iraqis to 'resist occupier US with all means' - Jan 08, 2011
- Britain ends combat operations in Iraq - Apr 30, 2009
- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden arrives in Baghdad on surprise visit - Jul 03, 2010
- Barack Obama to host Iraqi PM in White House - Nov 05, 2011
- Obama declares end to US combat operations in Iraq - Sep 01, 2010
- Iran hails Iraq's 'growing influence' - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: british defence secretary, british prime minister, british prime minister gordon brown, british troops in iraq, coalition troops, combat mission, combat missions, combat patrols, iraq today, iraqi counterpart, john hutton, military control, nouri al maliki, operational authority, prime minister gordon brown, pullout from iraq, southern iraq, term partnership, troops in iraq, uk troops