UK to face tenfold rise in jailed terrorists by 2017November 14th, 2007 - 10:17 am ICT by admin
It has also been suggested that 1,300 such prisoners will be Category A inmates, who require the highest level of security.
The stark rise in the number of prisoners serving jail terms for terrorist offences may cause huge problems for the Prison Service, as more prisons will have to be converted at great expense to deal with prisoners who represent a high security risk.
“If we have a very large increase that takes us beyond our current Category A capacity then we would have to make more Category A prisons or convert existing prisons, giving them additional security,” the Telegraph quoted Phil Wheatley, the director general of the Prison Service, as telling told MPs.
“I’m confident that I wouldn’t be left trying to look after Category A prisoners with no prisons to keep them in,” he added.
The Prison Service’s predictions have emerged at a time when the Home Affairs Committee is inquiring into the Government’s counter-terrorism proposals, seeking rise in the period for detaining terror suspects without charge from the current 28 days. (ANI)
- Don't treat Muslim prisoners as potential terrorists: British report (Lead) - Jun 08, 2010
- Don't treat Muslim prisoners as potential terrorists: British report - Jun 08, 2010
- Muslim prisoners should not be treated as potential terrorists: British report (Lead) - Jun 08, 2010
- Brazil prison population triples in 15 years - Dec 29, 2010
- 43 hurt in uprising at Chile prison - Dec 23, 2010
- NWFP, FATA prisons becoming fertile breeding ground for creating jihadis - Jan 02, 2010
- Mexico plans to build eight prisons - Feb 23, 2012
- 'Lone Wolf' terrorists most dangerous threat to society - Dec 19, 2011
- Police probing escape of Bangladeshi undertrials - Aug 29, 2012
- Raja, Kalmadi, Kanimozhi at Tihar I-Day event - Aug 15, 2011
- Terrorists in Britain's high-security prison planned to 'escape in an aeroplane' - Jun 06, 2010
- Dangerous prisoners in Britain to become hairdressers - Jan 27, 2011
- Indian-origin lawyer who smuggled drugs into prisons faces jail - Mar 07, 2012
- Britain may face 'new terror wave' following radicalised prisoners' release - Aug 27, 2010
- Five accused of sex crimes slain in Venezuela prison - Jan 03, 2012
Tags: 300, additional security, been suggested that, category a prisoners, counter terrorism, director general, high security, highest level, home affairs committee, inmates, mps, offences, prison service, prisons, proposals, security risk, telegraph, terror suspects, terrorist