UK terror plots on continuous riseNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:56 am ICT by admin
“The number of the conspiracies, the number of conspirators within those conspiracies and the magnitude of the ambition, in terms of destruction and loss of life, is mounting, has continued to mount year by year,” Sir Blair told the MPs while putting forward the case for extending the 28-day limit for detaining terror suspects without charge.
He told the Home Affairs Committee that internment was not a good idea, but 50 to 90 day detention would be “sensible” with judicial oversight.
However, he admitted that there have been no cases so far where detention beyond 28 days had been needed, but added that it was only a matter of time.
“The prospect that we will need more than 28 days some time in the not too distant future is so real a prospect that Parliament needs to consider it,” The Sun quoted him as saying.
Pointing out the proposed extension would not “ease” relations between police and the Muslim community, the police chief admitted that more efforts were needed to explain as to why it was needed.
He went on to say that considering the increase in threat, “a pragmatic inference can be drawn that at some stage 28 days is not going to be sufficient.” (ANI)
- Blair sought Fergie's 'hairdryer treatment' advice to deal with 'troublesome' Brown - Sep 02, 2010
- Blair met Mittal over Kazakhstan deal: Report - Oct 30, 2011
- Shivani murder: R.K. Sharma's acquittal challenged in apex court (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Delhi legislator's attackers sent to police custody - Jun 04, 2012
- Standoff continues, PM says anything can happen - Aug 24, 2011
- Geelani under scanner for alleged Lashkar links - Mar 02, 2012
- Britain police warn against cut in anti-terrorism funding - Jul 02, 2010
- SC dismisses Swamy's plea against Chidambaram (Third Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- 'Goa home minister mute spectator to police-drug nexus' - Dec 28, 2010
- Counter-terrorism in UK tougher since last Royal wedding - Apr 17, 2011
- Cops fear anti-monarchy anarchists may infiltrate royal wedding - Mar 28, 2011
- 'Oversight' caused most wanted terror error: Chidambaram (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Russia seeks extradition of arms dealer from US - Aug 23, 2012
- GJM demands bail for AMRI doctor, Mamata rebuffs (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Pakistan paying heavily for mixing religion with politics: Blair - Sep 29, 2011
Tags: ambitions, blair, conspiracies, conspirators, continuous rise, distant future, home affairs committee, inference, internment, judicial oversight, magnitude, matter of time, muslim community, pointing out, police chief, police commissioner, pragmatic, sir ian, terror suspects