UK snow: 7 stuck in pub keeping their spirits high by eating, drinkingDecember 5th, 2010 - 2:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 5 (ANI): Seven people have been stuck inside a pub for the past nine days after the building was engulfed by 16ft snow drifts.
The five staff and two local residents have been in the ultimate lock-in at The Lion Inn in Blakey Ridge, North Yorkshire.
They have been cut off since last Friday when heavy snow blocked the windows and doors of the isolated Lion and made surrounding roads too treacherous for any vehicles to pass.
The snow was so deep that vehicles in the car park were completely buried.
But despite their ordeal, the spirits of those trapped have remained high. They have kept themselves busy - eating, drinking and playing games - in a huge bar that normally serves 150 customers a night.
“It was really novel at first and quite exciting,” the Daily Mail quoted waitress Katie Underwood, as saying.
“The snow is immense. Most of the windows in here are blocked up, but we’ve got a door open at the back to get some air when we need to.
“It’s been freezing, but we’ve been lucky that it’s a pub and B&B we’re trapped in.
“We’ve got plenty of coal for our fire, which has been great, and there are rooms upstairs so we have somewhere to sleep, and plenty of food,” she said.
Katie, who has worked at the pub for four years, has been stuck with colleagues Rob Sinley, Joe Bell, Stuart Dowson, and Danny Butterworth, along with the two local residents.
Katie added, “We never imagined it would be for this long. We’ve been having a lot of fun - most nights we’ve been playing Monopoly or another board game, as well as keeping a beverage close by for warmth!” (ANI)
- Seven Britons trapped in snow-covered pub for over a week - Dec 05, 2010
- Seven people trapped in a Yorkshire pub since the last 9 days - Dec 05, 2010
- New Yorkers losing patience with Mayor Bloomberg over snow chaos - Dec 30, 2010
- Snow hits Amarnath Yatra preparations in Kashmir - Jun 14, 2012
- Heavy snowfall traps tourists in Kullu - Dec 31, 2010
- When train passengers awaited a 'runaway lion' - Nov 07, 2011
- Britain braces for a white Christmas - Dec 05, 2011
- Brit partygoers enjoy 3-day lock-in at pub due to heavy snowfall - Jan 04, 2010
- Briton's murder in Dharamsala: Police to seek Interpol help - Jul 31, 2010
- The big freeze: New Yorkers continue to battle two feet of snow (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- West Indies sweating on batting trio as tour bowls off - May 06, 2012
- Katie Couric inks $20 million deal with ABC - May 06, 2011
- Brit couple's first-date sex game ends up in a fix - May 30, 2010
- Stranded tourists due to snowfall in Manali, safely rescued - Oct 25, 2010
- Carrie Underwood wants to adopt child - Sep 27, 2011
Tags: blakey ridge, board game, car park, coal, daily mail, dowson, heavy snow, joe bell, katie underwood, last friday, lion inn, monopoly, nine days, north yorkshire, ordeal, playing games, waitress, warmth, windows and doors, yorkshire