UK scouts’ Kate Middleton kidnapping exercise draws outrageFebruary 13th, 2011 - 1:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 13 (ANI): A Scout troop in Britain has been slammed after it staged the mock kidnapping of Prince William’s bride-to-be Kate Middleton by terrorists.
Almost 300 children in Amersham, Bucks, watched in horror as the royal bride-to-be, played by an older scout, was dragged away from her prince by balaclava clad gang, reports the Daily Mail.
Prince William, also played by an older scout, then appealed to the youngsters, aged between 11 and 15, to help him find his future queen.
The 12-mile orienteering event was aimed at teaching young people how to read maps.
However, the exercise was slammed and branded ‘inappropriate’.
“I’m horrified that something like this has taken place. I don’t know any details about it but it does sound inappropriate,” said Ros Aitken from Amersham Town Council.
Event organiser Brian Shelley jumped to the defence of the task, which saw teams of scouts hunt for clues during the 12-mile trek.
“I don’t think it was inappropriate. The scouts loved it and found it very amusing,” he said.
“We came up with the idea as we wanted to mark the Royal Wedding - nobody mentioned any issues with it,” he added.
However, Aitken has expressed her disapproval of the event.
“The subject of a mock kidnapping of anybody, let alone Kate Middleton, who is soon to be a member of the Royal Family, is not very good judgment in my opinion,” she said.
“I was really very surprised when I heard what they had done, particularly because of the current climate. I think it is just inappropriate at this time,” she added.
The ‘Taking of Prince Harry’, a dramatised documentary based on what would happen if Prince Harry were to be taken prisoner while serving in Afghanistan, has previously been branded ‘distasteful’. (ANI)
- Stores trading off on 'brand Kate Middleton' could be sued - Jan 10, 2011
- Prince Harry says Kate Middleton will be sister I always wanted - Dec 18, 2010
- Prince William's 'small family affair' quip to calm Middletons' wedding nerves - Apr 30, 2011
- Kate Middleton has body double - Mar 03, 2011
- Kate Middleton lookalike becomes crowd-puller in Canada - Apr 23, 2011
- Prince Harry's ex calls royal bride-to-be Kate Middleton to wish her luck - Nov 25, 2010
- Zoo presents 'royal tiger couple' - William and Kate - Apr 29, 2011
- Kate Middleton getting super-svelte for wedding - Apr 12, 2011
- Critics slam likeness of Wills, Kate on new commemorative coin - Dec 24, 2010
- Dame Helen Mirren wants Wills-Kat to perform second 'private' wedding - Apr 25, 2011
- 'Kate Middleton as popular as Diana' among Brits - Apr 23, 2011
- William, Kate love story in a movie - Feb 03, 2011
- Elton John, partner David Furnish to attend Wills-Kate wedding - Mar 02, 2011
- Like Prince William, Kate Middleton too opts for low-key hen night - Mar 29, 2011
- How Kate Middleton might look like on her wedding night - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: aitken, amersham, daily mail, disapproval, event organiser, kate middleton, london feb, maps, mile trek, orienteering event, outrage, prince harry, prince william, royal bride, royal family, royal wedding, scout troop, shelley, uk scouts, youngsters