UK school orders race probe after four-year-old spits at a black boyNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:34 am ICT by admin
Eventually, according to the Daily Mail, it was concluded that Rocky had been “naughty”.
Rocky’s parents — Sarah and Iain Smith - however, expressed anger that the matter was taken so far because they say their son is too young to know what “racist” means.
Racism campaigners have also expressed surprise at the school’s action.
Mrs Smith, 35, said: “Rocky was wrong for lashing out and I’ve spoken to him about that, but how can a four-year-old be racist?
“His best friend at nursery was a boy of Indian background - colour doesn’t mean anything to him. I think he deserves an apology.”
Mrs Smith said the first she knew about it was when the school rang her to tell her the outcome later that day.
Mr Smith, 37, a taxi driver, added: “Rocky hasn’t got a clue what racism means.”
Head teacher Anne Phipps has defended her decision to investigate the race complaint
Tunde Bright-Davies, chairman of the Racial Harassment Forum in the neighbouring city of Portsmouth, said: “A very young child can hate another person because of the colour of their skin.
“But in this incident, there was no name calling, no racial connotation, no “get away from me”, and you can’t found racism on just spitting.
“I don’t know why it was investigated as a racist incident.”
Meanwhile, Rocky’s long-term future at the school still remains in the balance.
His parents fear he might yet be excluded for his behaviour and are due to meet Mrs Phipps next week.
Bedenham Primary School has more than 200 pupils ranging in age from four to ten.
In its last Ofsted report, the school was judged to be excellent in the category of pupils’ care, welfare, health and safety. (ANI)
- Indian head teacher sues UK school after 'bloody Indian', 'Paki lover' slurs - Feb 22, 2011
- British schools send off 900 violent pupils each day - Jul 30, 2011
- British kids carry knives to school - Sep 12, 2011
- Knitting 'has a revolutionary effect on pupils' behaviour' - Feb 13, 2011
- Brit schools leave Christianity in the wilderness - Jun 07, 2010
- Johan Cruyff denies making racist remarks against Davids - Nov 22, 2011
- 20 pc head teachers in UK being bullied on Facebook: Poll - May 01, 2011
- Headmistress tortures students with burning wood - Aug 10, 2010
- UK school's ex-pupils call Beckhams 'working class' - Apr 06, 2011
- UK schools report 40,000 cases of racism every year: Report - Oct 29, 2009
- UK schools institutionally racist as it has only 30 black male head teachers - Apr 22, 2011
- A British school where kids learn head massage - Oct 03, 2011
- Jermaine Jenas is on a mission - Dec 06, 2009
- British teachers admit manipulating results - Apr 02, 2012
- School to ban kids who are not toilet-trained - Jun 04, 2011
Tags: background colour, campaigners, city of portsmouth, connotation, head teacher, headmistress, i don t know, indian background, mail, mrs smith, ofsted report, parents, phipps, primary school, pupils, racial harassment, racism, racist incident, taxi driver, tunde