UK royals urged to back gay marriagesApril 25th, 2011 - 5:48 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr. 25 (ANI): Equal Love campaigners have said they will deliver a giant card to Buckingham Palace, urging Prince William and Katherine Middleton to support gay marriages.
The campaigners have launched a legal bid to overturn the twin bans on same-sex civil marriages and heterosexual civil partnerships in the UK.
According to The Independent, the wording of the card will read: “Congratulations William and Kate on your Wedding Day. We wish you a happy life together. You can get married, gay people can’t. We are banned by law. We ask you to support marriage equality. Equal=Love.”
Human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell said denying people the right to marry was “unjust discrimination”.
He added: “The royal couple are lucky. They have the option to get married. Gay couples don’t have this option. They are barred by law from marriage.”
He said: “We urge Kate and William to support marriage equality: the right of same-sex couples to get married. Their support would mean a lot. They take for granted the right to marry. Marriage is something that many lesbian and gay couples want but cannot have.” (ANI)
- Hundreds of gay, lesbian couples say "I do" in New York (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Obama supports gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- Obama supports same-sex marriage (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- New York same-sex marriage law gives Aussie advocates hope - Jun 25, 2011
- British gays not interested in marriage law - Jun 08, 2012
- Obama endorses gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- Gay laws: Britain may remove husband, wife terms - Mar 17, 2012
- US shifts legal stance on gay marriage - Feb 24, 2011
- Unite to oppose gay marriage: Pope's envoy asks Muslims, Jews - Apr 28, 2012
- Federal judge overturns California gay marriage ban (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 05, 2010
- Facebook praised for gay relationship status options - Feb 18, 2011
- Anne Hathaway supports gay marriage - Mar 16, 2011
- Gay marriages can resume in California - Aug 13, 2010
- British schools to teach kids about gay marriage - Feb 27, 2012
- From closet to freedom for India's gays, two years on - Jul 01, 2011
Tags: buckingham palace, campaigner, campaigners, civil marriages, civil partnerships, gay couples, gay marriages, happy life, human rights, kate and william, marriage, marriage equality, peter tatchell, prince william, royal couple, royals, same sex couples, unjust discrimination, wedding day, william and kate