UK Police probing migration racket behind 360 sham marriagesJuly 30th, 2010 - 3:02 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 30 (ANI): Police in Britain are reportedly investigating an international multi-million-pound racket to help thousands of illegal immigrants stay in the country after a vicar was found guilty of conducting hundreds of sham marriages.
The Reverend Alex Brown, of St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex, joined Ukrainian Vladymyr Buchak and Nigerian Michael Adelasoye is reported to have to set up 360 fake weddings in four years.
According to the Daily Express, the Lewes Crown Court was told that East Europeans were paid 3,000 pounds to marry Africans seeking UK residency.
But there have also been raids on at least a dozen suspicious church weddings across the UK, with 23 arrests and 24 people jailed since October 2009. Many are thought to be connected.
Gareth Redmond, of the UK Border Agency, said: “At the back of these there is something larger. There is the potential that this is a bigger organised-crime gang.”
Church insiders admit the cases may be only the tip of the iceberg, with no one knowing how much it is costing taxpayers to keep bogus brides and grooms in the UK. (ANI)
- Dog 'christened' in lavish church ceremony - Nov 21, 2010
- Britain's vicars get tips to detect fake weddings - Apr 12, 2011
- Vicar banned from flying Jesus flag - because it advertises Christianity! - May 01, 2010
- Vicar slams UK council's ban on strippers, lap dancers and sex shops - Jan 30, 2011
- Brand wants to be a vicar - Jul 20, 2012
- Jailed British policeman found hanging in jail - Jul 31, 2012
- Local community has been supportive: Lily Allen - Jul 05, 2011
- 18 Indian immigrants arrested in Britain - Aug 11, 2010
- British gays to be allowed to wed in churches - Nov 04, 2011
- Vicar in UK sparks fury after dressing up as tart for party - Nov 18, 2010
- Millions to celebrate 'People's Royal Wedding' on April 29! - Nov 24, 2010
- UK mission confirms arrest of 18 illegal Indian immigrants - Aug 11, 2010
- Adele Britain's richest young musician - Apr 13, 2012
- Geri Halliwell to tie the knot? - Jan 14, 2010
- 'Sex mad' vicar who prayed after sex with lover banned from church in UK - Feb 09, 2010
Tags: africans, alex brown, brides and grooms, church weddings, crown court, daily express, east europeans, east sussex, illegal immigrants, insiders, lewes, migration, reverend, sham marriages, st leonards on sea, taxpayers, tip of the iceberg, uk police, uk residency, vicar