UK Muslim channel accused of encouraging marital rapeMarch 26th, 2010 - 1:35 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar.26 (ANI): Britain’s broadcasting watchdog OFCOM has launched an investigation against the country’s leading Muslim TV channel - the Islam Channel - after it was accused of encouraging “marital rape” and promoting hatred and intolerance.
OFCOM took the decision to investigate after being handed a major report by counter-terrorism think tank Quilliam, reports the Daily Express.
The London-based Islam Channel has a worldwide audience of two million.
The report claims the Islam Channel’s presenters and guests “regularly make derogatory statements about women and their role in society”.
In one programme, a guest tells viewers that Muslim women cannot refuse their husbands’ sexual advances.
Another presenter said women caused the “main sources” of problems facing modern society.
The think tank also accused the channel of advertising talks by extremist cleric Anwar al-Awlaki who has alleged links with Al Qaeda.
An OFCOM spokesman said: “This report raises some serious allegations. We will investigate where our rules may have been broken.”In 2007, OfCOM fined the Islam Channel 30,000-pounds for breaking rules on political impartiality by showing programmes hosted by candidates of George Galloway’s Respect Party during the 2006 local election.
A spokesman for the Islam Channel, available in the UK to satellite viewers, said last night that it “promotes the role of women in society and that is why almost half of those working at Islam Channel are women.”
“We strongly reject all forms of extremism. We condemn unreservedly all forms of violence and the killing of innocent people regardless of their faith and ethnicity.” (ANI)
- British TV channel accused of encouraging marital rape - Mar 26, 2010
- Al Qaeda man linked to 9/11 had lunch at Pentagon - Oct 21, 2010
- Mumbai terror attack inspirer Naik spreading 'hate messages' via satellite TV in UK - Feb 12, 2011
- Anwar al-Awlaki calls for more terror attacks on West in new video - Sep 30, 2010
- Al Qaeda leader dined at Pentagon months after 9/11 - Oct 21, 2010
- Yemen charges US-born radical cleric Al-Awlaki for first time - Nov 03, 2010
- Al-Qaeda leader Anwar al-Awlaki sentenced to ten years in prison - Jan 17, 2011
- Al-Qaeda leader's tour of Britain 'radicalised a generation of young Muslims' - Nov 06, 2010
- UK Islam TV channel found in breach of guidelines by condoning marital rape - Nov 10, 2010
- Al-Qaeda leader Al-Awlaki killed: Yemen - Sep 30, 2011
- Islamic TV banned in Britain for condoning marital rape - Nov 10, 2010
- Yemen tribal leaders not playing ball with govt. in handing over Qaeda operatives - Nov 13, 2010
- Xmas bomb suspect claims radical imam told him to bomb jet - Feb 06, 2010
- American born radical cleric al-Awlaki linked to UK terror plot - Dec 29, 2010
- UK Islamic hate preacher Choudary to be given Channel 4 slot - Nov 28, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,